Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I pay the builder for chemicals on a new pool install

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I pay the builder for chemicals on a new pool install

I am considering a quote on a pool and the pool builder is charging $325 for chemicals after it is filled. The pool will be filled then not used until next year since it won't be complete until October. Is $325 reasonable and should I just expect that for a 18x36 rectangle with an 8' deep end? Should the pool be brought to full swim chemicals before wintering over? We plan on using the BBB method and we will not have salt.
    1: 10,000 gals in the ground plaster, Hayward pump SP2715X20 2hp
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620
    3: AquaCal Heat Pump, Astrlite SP0580S Under Water Light
    4: Port PolarisCaretaker, TFTestKit-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I pay the builder for chemicals on a new pool ins

What kind of pool is it? If it is plaster/pebbletec etc., I would think the startup chems needed should be included in price. If it is vinyl, then I would forgo the pb chems and get your own. It won't cost you $325.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

It will be a vinyl pool.
    1: 10,000 gals in the ground plaster, Hayward pump SP2715X20 2hp
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620
    3: AquaCal Heat Pump, Astrlite SP0580S Under Water Light
    4: Port PolarisCaretaker, TFTestKit-100

4. Back To Top    #4

You should be able to plug your numbers into the pool calculator and assess the costs to buy everything used in BBB.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll need salt, bleach, baking soda, maybe some borax (BBB) and perhaps muriatic acid.

Not $325 worth at all.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you go with that builder, just have him remove that from the cost. You will be a far better judge of what chemistry you need (very little) if do your homework.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School