Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water leaking from under the pump/motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Water leaking from under the pump/motor

My motor started making a loud noise last month have purchased a new motor yet to install. But I've been lossing water from the pool everyday. Checked all the pipes no leaks but appears the water is coming from under the pump/motor. could this be the cause of the motor making noise? could this be the seal between the two that has allowed the motor to get moisture in it and caused the loud noise? I hope I don't also need to replace the pump. The equipment is 11+ years old. Any thoughts?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water leaking from under the pump/motor

Most likely the seal failed and the bearing the seal is supposed to protect is going bad.

I'm guessing you planned to replace any seals when you had the thing apart anyway.

Stop procrastinating!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I purchased the seal with the motor. My boyfriend wants to wait till the beginning of next season to install but we still have a month or two before we close the pool. I think we should install and see if that takes care of the leak. thanks for your input.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

I would do it now as opposed to waiting.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA