Winterizing a Salt Water Pool

Aug 15, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I was watching youtube videos by Family Leisure on Winterizing a Pool. He was advising that it's best if you can remove the pump, filter, and SWG during the winter.

Is this really necessary? If I do then what should I cover each end of the lines with? I live in Atlanta, GA

I live in Jacksonville, FL and I do not do that. I will run the system if we have a hard freeze. For mild freeze lasing a couple of hours I will not run the system. Bottom line is not letting the water freeze. If you purge you lines of water and empty the filter at the bottom drain you should not have a problem.

Up north here (Minnesota), I remove and store the pump and swg inside. I drain the filter (take the multiport valve inside and cover the filter opening with plastic), disconnect the lines and blow them out. Then I cap the lines with rubber caps, so water does not get back in. I would guess you do not have to go to that extent. Family Leisure has numerous locations (we have some up here) around the states, so those recommendations may not be for your specific area.

There is no reason that I can see to remove the filter and pump. Just shut them off and remove the drain plugs so water does not sit in them. I am in Va and have to blow all of the water out of my lines as well to prevent water from freezing in the lines.

This is my first year living in atlanta.. last year we had a freeze for about a week which was out of the normal according to everyone here. So everyone thinks ill be okay to drain the filter and blow the lines? What's the location and method to blow the lines out at?

Since our pump is hard wired in, I didn't put it inside, just drained the filter, pump, etc as previously posted. This past Feb we hit an abnormal all time low of 30 degrees below zero, and no problems starting it back up.

VIPNiSS said:
I was watching youtube videos by Family Leisure on Winterizing a Pool. He was advising that it's best if you can remove the pump, filter, and SWG during the winter.

Is this really necessary? If I do then what should I cover each end of the lines with? I live in Atlanta, GA

My sand filter is full of 300lbs of sand. Don't think I'm bringing that inside :shock:

Up here in Canada, we all have to winterize - I've never taken anything inside until last year, when an updated manual for my SWG came out and it now suggests taking it inside for winter (the cell, not the actual control box). Otherwise, pump, filter etc. all remain out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.