Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Winterizing a Salt Water Pool

Winterizing a Salt Water Pool

I was watching youtube videos by Family Leisure on Winterizing a Pool. He was advising that it's best if you can remove the pump, filter, and SWG during the winter.

Is this really necessary? If I do then what should I cover each end of the lines with? I live in Atlanta, GA

Re: Winterizing a Salt Water Pool

I live in Jacksonville, FL and I do not do that. I will run the system if we have a hard freeze. For mild freeze lasing a couple of hours I will not run the system. Bottom line is not letting the water freeze. If you purge you lines of water and empty the filter at the bottom drain you should not have a problem.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

Up north here (Minnesota), I remove and store the pump and swg inside. I drain the filter (take the multiport valve inside and cover the filter opening with plastic), disconnect the lines and blow them out. Then I cap the lines with rubber caps, so water does not get back in. I would guess you do not have to go to that extent. Family Leisure has numerous locations (we have some up here) around the states, so those recommendations may not be for your specific area.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

There is no reason that I can see to remove the filter and pump. Just shut them off and remove the drain plugs so water does not sit in them. I am in Va and have to blow all of the water out of my lines as well to prevent water from freezing in the lines.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

This is my first year living in atlanta.. last year we had a freeze for about a week which was out of the normal according to everyone here. So everyone thinks ill be okay to drain the filter and blow the lines? What's the location and method to blow the lines out at?

Since our pump is hard wired in, I didn't put it inside, just drained the filter, pump, etc as previously posted. This past Feb we hit an abnormal all time low of 30 degrees below zero, and no problems starting it back up.
    ~26700 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    Compupool CPSC48 SWG installed 3/26/2012, Cell Failure, near meltdown in July 2013 :(
    K-2006 Test kit

Quote Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
    What's the location and method to blow the lines out at?
    See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    What's the location and method to blow the lines out at?
    See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    thanks linen! skimmer it is!

I was watching youtube videos by Family Leisure on Winterizing a Pool. He was advising that it's best if you can remove the pump, filter, and SWG during the winter.

Is this really necessary? If I do then what should I cover each end of the lines with? I live in Atlanta, GA
    My sand filter is full of 300lbs of sand. Don't think I'm bringing that inside

Up here in Canada, we all have to winterize - I've never taken anything inside until last year, when an updated manual for my SWG came out and it now suggests taking it inside for winter (the cell, not the actual control box). Otherwise, pump, filter etc. all remain out.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre