Second Algae invasion?

Aug 17, 2011
I just added a bag of shock. Its a average-large pool in the backyard. Just moved here. I've read that adding clorox could solve this along with vaccuuming which I attempted the first time, and this was right before I was traveling. I knew it wasn't clear so I called a company who serviced when I returned I was billed ok.. they continued coming for 2 weeks and then stopped I called asking why they stopped coming, and my pool was growing over again.. They said they just wanted to discontunue service here.

So I am frustrated, but anyway, back to the issue. I was told to call a "different" pool company, I've just decided to try to do this myself.

The filter is a not a sand filter, although my realtor told me to check the sand and keep it maintenanced - I did not see any sand or any place to put sand in it..

THe vaccuum I have it a Pool Blaster, which actually is very inefficient. It tracks about 2 inch strips rather than actually a lot of surface at a time.

Will pool shock be enough.. I just put one bag and brushed and added another tablet to the floating chlorine dispenser. The water is greener than it was yesterday. Filter needs to be cleaned it looks like as well. I need to start somewhere and the instructions all about testing and so on.. are a bit too heavy for me so if you would just tell me what To do at the moment.

I am in Florida and it rains every few days. There are trees hanging over my yard which might be contributing to the green in the pool.. and I dunno. but I appreciate the help.

Hey there welcome to the TFP forum!

It may seem like a little much to you right now, but if you truly want to do this yourself, you will have to grasp at least the basics on pool chemistry. It really isnt hard and it will be rewarding once you get things in line on your own. On top of that, you'll have a clean, safe, and pretty pool to enjoy. Since you asked, the next thing you need after some studying is to order a good test kit. The Taylor K-2006 or the TF 100 are the best, but the TF100 is a better deal for sure. Second, read up as advised to get some basics down. Find the pool calculator, and get familiar with using it. It will help you make accurate doses of chemicals once you start adding bleach as you mention doing. And yes...bleach will take care of your pool along with a couple of other things as well, but these are also simple things to add and maintain. First order though is to get familiar with some basics, and get a test kit. We really need some numbers to offer more useful, and helpful information.

GreenPoolWoman,

If you are going to take control of your pool and do this yourself the first two things you need to do is order a test kit and estimate the size of your pool. Just search here or online for estimating pool size.

You also need to figure out what kind of pool equipment you have. This link will help pool-school/visual_encyclopedia

You can also post pictures of your pool equipment and someone will tell you what it is. You can't see the sand in a sand filter so you may have one. It is a good filter for someone who can't or doesn't have time to take apart and clean filters. They take a little longer to clean up a swamp but are good low maintenance filters.

If you have a green pool I would recommend the TFT 100xl with a speed stir. If you can't afford that you can not buy the speed stir or even not the xl option. It might sound like a lot but it is nothing compared to a pool service. And with a pool service you still won't know what is going on and long they could leave you with a mess anyway.

After ordering a kit, hit the pool school button on the top right and start reading. If you have a printer you might want to print it out.

By the time the kit arrives you can get started. You can get a pool store to test but don't by anything the recommend until you post it here first. You also have to take pool store results with a grain of salt. Some testers are good and some are way off.

GreenPoolWoman,

Welcome to TFP!

You've come to the right place. We'll help you fix your pool up clean and pretty, sorry about the algae bloom. Unfortunately you've experienced exactly why we're very strict about the guidelines for shocking a pool. Throwing in shock product and walking away does not work. Partly dead algae re-grows. Shocking requires maintaining a specific high chlorine level in relation to your pool's cyanuric acid (CYA) level. It requires frequent testing (hourly at first) and additions of chlorine after testing to raise the pool back to this specific level. It can take a day, or it can take weeks in extreme cases but the chlorine must be consistently maintained throughout the process.

To understand what has happened, you'll need to read pool school (upper right of this page, white button). Read it more than twice. Pay particular attention to the shocking your pool and algae information within because you absolutely need to begin the shocking process on your pool. You also need a FAS-DPD test kit which is essential to this process. It will be your most valuable pool tool and considerably cheaper than hiring a pool company to come and hurl things into your pool that don't work.

The trees overhanging your pool are not what has caused the algae bloom nor are they really contributing to it other than their presence so all you need to do is remove what they drop. The skimmer should take care of floating leaves, and vacuuming will get the heavier debris from the bottom of the pool. I have the smaller model of the pool blaster and it works well with the flap that covers the opening tucked under so it doesn't restrict flow. You may also want to add a stocking (girl's tight, the opaque kind) to the inside of the filter in the vacuum to help catch smaller particles.

Also as was suggested, go take some pictures of your equipment. Peeps here will help you understand what everything is and how to operate it.

So, until you get your own test kit can you take your pool water to a pool store for a full set of test results? Pool store results are suspect at best, but it'll help us get you started for the time being. We need to know your CYA level to determine how much bleach/liquid chlorine you'll need to bring your pool to shock level. The tablets you're using and very likely the shocking product you've used contain CYA and will continue to raise that level as long as you use them. Some CYA is good (essential in outdoor pools, it's like a sunscreen for chlorine), but too much means your pool needs high chlorine levels just to stay clear. Once we find out approximately where that level is for your pool we'll know more about why it's growing algae and how to battle it. 30-40ppm CYA is a good level for most pools.

Post back some information about the volume of the pool, and pool store test results. While you're out, buy about 15 bottles of plain unscented regular store brand 6% bleach. You're going to need them to be on hand to do this.

When you're at the pool store, do NOT buy anything they suggest. The easiest way to get out of it is to smile and tell them you already have whatever they want to sell you. At TFP, we are all about not putting anything into your pool that it does not need, and the reality is that all you NEED to clear the algae is chlorine (bleach).

If CYA is the chlorine reading, I'll do that cuz I have a CL and PH tester.

Here is a pic of the filter and pump
fbyi6f.jpg

Just cleaned the filter with a hose water. and cleaned the pump drainer basket.

and put in about 5/6 of a gallon bleach into the pool
22032 gallon pool estimator

Hey GPW...

Great to see you tackling.the filter cleaning. Let us know how your pH and Chlorine test comes out. Good to see you doing that too. CYA is another chemical that helps protect the chlorine from sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.