Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using marble under water

1. Back To Top    #1

Using marble under water

I need to get some pictures up here, but we are mid pool build and had the brilliant idea of cutting out a cotton boll and placing it at the bottom of the pool between the main drains. (we're in the middle of the largest cotton patch in the world). Initially we thought of cutting it out of porcelain tile and then we had the idea to cut it out of marble instead. We like the marble better, but it occurs to me that marble isn't the hardest stone out there and I wonder if there will be any problems with marble submerged at the bottom of my pool. Anyone have any experience with submerged marble?
    12,500 gallon 4-6-4 gunnite sport pool. 3/4 HP Hayward Tri-Star, 3.1^2 FT Hayward sand filter, AutoPilot Nano, The Poolcleaner 2X, 12'x20' solar panels, and a water fall with a home-grown automation system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using marble under water

Never seen it and I wouldn't try it.

From Wikipedia: "The resulting marble rock is typically composed of an interlocking mosaic of carbonate crystals." I suspect when you adjust pH you'll just dissolve the marble and the carbonate crystals will become CO2 and your fancy rock work will literally evaporate. And if that doesn't happen, what if you get some scale and go at it with a wire brush?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. That's what I was afraid of once I engaged my brain this morning. Unless someone has a good experience story about submerged marble I think we'll go with porcelain.
    12,500 gallon 4-6-4 gunnite sport pool. 3/4 HP Hayward Tri-Star, 3.1^2 FT Hayward sand filter, AutoPilot Nano, The Poolcleaner 2X, 12'x20' solar panels, and a water fall with a home-grown automation system.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here it is cut out of porcelain. The plaster will be Hawaiian blue so the white should stand out nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't put marble anywhere. It also stains and etches WAY too easy for my taste.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Good move going with porcelain. Just curious is that a water jet you cut on?
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandlord
    Good move going with porcelain. Just curious is that a water jet you cut on?
    Yep. Its one very cool machine. We just got it a few weeks ago and the guys who actually run it (I'm an electrical guy, not a mechanical guy) have had a blast cutting all sorts of materials already (wood, plastic, glass, etc). Beats the pants off a laser for versatility.

8. Back To Top    #8

They are cool machines that's for sure. And the company's timing is good too. They got it just in time for the pool build.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandlord
    And the company's timing is good too. They got it just in time for the pool build.
    Yep

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to the forum Mark! Midlander here.

I figured you'd have enough cotton blowing into your pool with adding more.

Hope your build goes well and you get many years of fun from your pool. Good choice on nixing the Marble.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Brushpup