Solar blanket cover?

May 16, 2011
PA
I just got a new 16mil clear solar blanket. Now a friend with a solar cover says that I need to get a cover for the blanket when it's rolled up for extended periods to keep it from deteriorating under its own trapper heat. Is that true? If so, any recommendations?

The clear covers aren't as bad about gaining heat as the colored ones are but it's still a good idea to get a cover for them. That being said, mine has stayed uncovered all summer for the last two years and isn't showing sign's of deterioration yet.

mine is on year number two and after the month long heat wave about 75-80% of the bubbles have split. I will definitely be covering the new one. I'm wondering if I shouldn't replace it with the exact same one, 8mil/blue. It came with the pool so I'm hoping the new one will be slightly better quality.

Bama - what color and thickness is yours?

I got a 16 mil thick clear solar cover for my pool last Oct/Nov. It is now shedding the bubbles quickly. I have a 4 yr warranty on it and would like to try to limp it through next summer before getting it replaced under warranty. We're in Tucson and I use the cover year round, although I sometimes leave it off for a few days to let the water cool when the pool gets too hot.

Questions:
1) How good are the manufacturers about honoring the warranty?
2) What is the normal lifespan of a solar pool cover in Tucson? My pool cleaner said that they generally only last a couple of years.
3) During the daytime, I roll it up and have it next to the pool. The pool is 28' x 15' so I roll it up so the 28' long roll sits next to the pool. Should I try to cover it? If so, what kind of cover do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Here in Tucson the sun eats everything.
Youbwill be lucky to get two seasons out of a solar cover. I look for one that offers a long full replacement warranty and free shipping, then when it falls apart at about two years (and it will) I get a new one for free.

chiefwej said:
Here in Tucson the sun eats everything.
Youbwill be lucky to get two seasons out of a solar cover. I look for one that offers a long full replacement warranty and free shipping, then when it falls apart at about two years (and it will) I get a new one for free.

Thanks. I'd estimate that 1/3 or more bubbles have popped/separated from the cover this summer. I don't expect to lose many more this winter and would like to limp it through the winter and next summer, replacing it under warranty next fall. I'm sure it'll pretty much be 'bubble free' by next fall. Interestingly, I cut a smaller piece to cover the connected spa and it hasn't lost any bubbles yet.
I'm renting this house and we have a bit more than two more years left on the lease and will likely move summer 2014 (which would mean ~9 month lease extension) so I'd like to just go through the pool cover replacement process once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.