Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blanket cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blanket cover?

I just got a new 16mil clear solar blanket. Now a friend with a solar cover says that I need to get a cover for the blanket when it's rolled up for extended periods to keep it from deteriorating under its own trapper heat. Is that true? If so, any recommendations?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blanket cover?

The clear covers aren't as bad about gaining heat as the colored ones are but it's still a good idea to get a cover for them. That being said, mine has stayed uncovered all summer for the last two years and isn't showing sign's of deterioration yet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

mine is on year number two and after the month long heat wave about 75-80% of the bubbles have split. I will definitely be covering the new one. I'm wondering if I shouldn't replace it with the exact same one, 8mil/blue. It came with the pool so I'm hoping the new one will be slightly better quality.

Bama - what color and thickness is yours?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, what's the most convenient and effective thing to cover them with?

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is 12 mil and clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I cover mine during the summer with a left over piece of Tyvek (house wrap) and hold it on with some bungee cords.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I got a 16 mil thick clear solar cover for my pool last Oct/Nov. It is now shedding the bubbles quickly. I have a 4 yr warranty on it and would like to try to limp it through next summer before getting it replaced under warranty. We're in Tucson and I use the cover year round, although I sometimes leave it off for a few days to let the water cool when the pool gets too hot.

Questions:
    1) How good are the manufacturers about honoring the warranty?
    2) What is the normal lifespan of a solar pool cover in Tucson? My pool cleaner said that they generally only last a couple of years.
    3) During the daytime, I roll it up and have it next to the pool. The pool is 28' x 15' so I roll it up so the 28' long roll sits next to the pool. Should I try to cover it? If so, what kind of cover do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Our pool is 15,000 gallons fresh water with a Hayward C5025 cartridge filter system; inground plaster. We bought the house Oct 2014.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have mine rolled up and under eaves of our house which is usually shaded. Protected with vinyl tarp and secured with bungie cords.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Here in Tucson the sun eats everything.
    Youbwill be lucky to get two seasons out of a solar cover. I look for one that offers a long full replacement warranty and free shipping, then when it falls apart at about two years (and it will) I get a new one for free.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    Here in Tucson the sun eats everything.
    Youbwill be lucky to get two seasons out of a solar cover. I look for one that offers a long full replacement warranty and free shipping, then when it falls apart at about two years (and it will) I get a new one for free.
    Thanks. I'd estimate that 1/3 or more bubbles have popped/separated from the cover this summer. I don't expect to lose many more this winter and would like to limp it through the winter and next summer, replacing it under warranty next fall. I'm sure it'll pretty much be 'bubble free' by next fall. Interestingly, I cut a smaller piece to cover the connected spa and it hasn't lost any bubbles yet.
    I'm renting this house and we have a bit more than two more years left on the lease and will likely move summer 2014 (which would mean ~9 month lease extension) so I'd like to just go through the pool cover replacement process once.
    Our pool is 15,000 gallons fresh water with a Hayward C5025 cartridge filter system; inground plaster. We bought the house Oct 2014.