Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ran Pump with drains/skimmer closed - water sensor leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Ran Pump with drains/skimmer closed - water sensor leak

Newbie mistake. Pool is 5 months old. I ran my pump (Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050) last without re-opening the skimmer and drain valve after cleaning. I now have a leak by the water sensor. The heat seemed to melt the PVC a little. You see an indention where the sensor is. I tightened the clamp and leak stopped. I am wondering if I should just replace the section of PVC. I do not want it to leak again. Pictures attached.

If I replace that section do I need to keep it the same height or can just cut at the 90 degree couplings and replace that small section. The horizontal piece and 90 degree couplings.

Should I have my pool builder come out and do this and check out all the equipment. Do you think I messed up other things? Things seem to running fine now except for that pipe issue.

I learned a big lesson here.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallon IGP, 50 sqft, infinity edge spa - 8 jets, 3 water pots and 2 bubblers
    SWG - Pentair IC40: Delta UV Filter ES Series; Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter; 1 Pentair Intelliflow VSP VS3050; 1 Pentair Whisperflow for water pots and bubblers; Pentair EasyTouch 4 remote; Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa; Pentair Master Temp 400 heater; Pebblesheen Finish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ran Pump with drains/skimmer closed - water sensor leak

Quote Originally Posted by utell
    I tightened the clamp and leak stopped.

Thanks.
    My vote is if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree! Keep an eye on it once in a while but I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Everything seems fine. I will follow that advice. Even survived having 48 kids in the pool last night.
    20,000 gallon IGP, 50 sqft, infinity edge spa - 8 jets, 3 water pots and 2 bubblers
    SWG - Pentair IC40: Delta UV Filter ES Series; Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter; 1 Pentair Intelliflow VSP VS3050; 1 Pentair Whisperflow for water pots and bubblers; Pentair EasyTouch 4 remote; Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa; Pentair Master Temp 400 heater; Pebblesheen Finish

5. Back To Top    #5

thats nothing. ive seen 20 something year old pvc plumbing somewhat deformed from heat work perfectly fine. no worries. instead i would keep an eye on that pump though!
    pool size 15X30 Filters:Cartridge Aboveground Plaster,Pentair Minimax NT Low NOx Series Heater