Pool open year round, winter chlorine question, Eastern NC

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
Just wondering, how much and how important is it to keep your level of chlorine up in the winter months? Our weather here in eastern NC runs anywhere from 19F at night to 60F days or some days it stays in the low 30's but not more than a couple days to a week. The pool water temp is about 50 to 55F on average. I have been running the pump at night and off during the day. This is an IG 24k gallon pool vinyl liner with DE filter.

I have been stocking up on the bleach for this coming season. The Family Dollar has the 182oz, 6% bottle for $2.

Thanks

Pooldad,

For several reasons, I turned my pump off in December and stopped adding chlorine. I have a green swamp!! I'm not sure if the lack of circulation or the complete absence of chlorine was primary or perhaps they both contributed.

My point is that I think you'll need some chlorine from time to time. My water temp was below 50 when I turned the pump off and has stayed well below 50 since....more like 40.

duraleigh said:
Pooldad,

For several reasons, I turned my pump off in December and stopped adding chlorine. I have a green swamp!! I'm not sure if the lack of circulation or the complete absence of chlorine was primary or perhaps they both contributed.

My point is that I think you'll need some chlorine from time to time. My water temp was below 50 when I turned the pump off and has stayed well below 50 since....more like 40.

my pool is 40 and have not added clorine or ran the pump since october, looked at it last night and its still crystal clear, i guess im just real lucky, and i noticed i had leaves on the bottom of the pool , that would cause even more chances of alge.

My water is clear. I guess running the pump I was scared of it freezing. Being from PA. (I'm in the Air Force) most things freeze up there with the frost line about 2 to 3 feet down. What I really need to do is replace the water, my CYA is around 110 or at least it was last Sept. I hate to drain and refill with this water shortage we are in but the amount of chlorine I have to add every day is going to be expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.