Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to protect wooden patio furniture?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to protect wooden patio furniture?

I just bought two chaise lounges online and the reviews say they are great chairs but they don't weather well. I was thinking of using Thompson Water Seal or some kind of polyurethane. What do you guys recommend? The chairs are some kind of imatation teak and the instructions say to use teak oil every 6 months but the reviews say that is not enough.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to protect wooden patio furniture?

Try Penofin for hardwoods. It is a rosewood oil. I have used it on an ipe deck and furniture for years. Just put some on some of that teak fsc wood.
    24K gal ( pool,spa,basin)
    Pentair Sand Filter, IG Plaster/ Inifinity Edge - Diamond Brite Onyx
    (2) Sta-Rite 2HP, Pentair 400K BTU heater
    Jandy Aquapure SWG w/ AquaLink, Tiger Shark Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

I use Teak oil or "Danish" oil. Both seem to work well. I'd steer clear of varnishes that form a film. They don't work very well as they crack when the wood changes shape with humidity and they trap moisture inside also.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

How often do you guys have to reapply the finish (Danish oil, etc...)
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to seal it use a sealer with linseed oil. They work well because it is absorbed into the wood and not superficial.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ROB N
    If you want to seal it use a sealer with linseed oil. They work well because it is absorbed into the wood and not superficial.
    Do you know of any brand names?
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam