Fixing up and weekly targets

May 1, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hi All,

Unfortunately, I have to move for work after having just got my place and so to rent it I'll need to try sort something out where weekly maintenance will be sufficient. I'd love some advice on what numbers to hit.

Also, I've been away the past few weeks for a week at a time, and shocking it once on the weekend has not been sufficient. I've got an orange discoloration around the sides. I'd love to know how best to clean it up. I've attached a photo of it.

The pool is masonry and in Austin, and it seems the heat has burnt through next to everything. Here are reading from just now using a TF-100 kit.
FC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 8.2 (maybe higher I guess given that's the color limit? though it did match)
T/A: 170
CH: 150
CYA: 0 (it was very very clear right up to the top)

Thanks heaps,

Alan.

Attachments

• PoolIssue.jpg
    PoolIssue.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 67
That looks like mustard algae getting started. You should get some chlorine and cyanuric acid in there and you should get the pH and TA down.

First, add enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.2 and then after about 1 hour retest, and if the pH is at 7.2, add enough liquid chlorine to raise the chlorine to about 10 ppm.

Brush down the mustard algae with a nylon bristle brush and maintain shock level until it's cleared up.

Note: If you don't maintain full shock level of at least 10 ppm or 60 % of the cyanuric acid level (whichever is higher), then the mustard algae will get much worse very quickly.

Check out Pool School for more information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.