Green dust on bottom of pool

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
I have a problem with my pool. All of my chemicals are pretty good but when you brush the bottom it is a big cloud of green.
My FC =9.5
CC= <.5
TC=10
PH=7.6
TA=90
CH=160
CYA=85
I am using the TF100 test kit and the BBB method for the last 4 weeks.
I am now shocking the p[ool. I just don't get how yesterday and this morning I have 0 CC but somehow today I developed green all over the bottom of the pool. I have raised my FC to 21. It is tuff to get much higher but I 'm working on it. Any thoughts and help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am very diligent in checking the water balance every morning and adding whatever I need to add. I just thought that as long as the #'s were right this wouldn't happen.

How sure are you about the CYA level. It's pretty high if this is not a salt pool. If you were off on the CYA by 10 or 20..easy to do, you may have dropped below the minimum available FC chlorine level to maintain sanitation and prevent algae from growing.

If you are sure of your CYA level, you might consider draining some water to lower it. For very sunny non SWG pools, its typically around 40-50 as the recommended level. Lower if you do not get that much sun. this will lower the required FC levels to maintain and for shocking. See the pool calculator for what you need to hold and shock at.

What are you using as your chlorine source? liquid or tablets or powder?

Thanks Optica, I am using bottled bleach, 6%. I do know my CYA is high and I am trying to replace some of the water. However I have 270000 gallons and the pool calculator says I need to replace half of it. I just can't afford to do that at this time so I have been keeping my FC at 9.5. I do not have an SWG pool. It is in full sun almost all day. I am going to Wally World in the early morn to buy more bleach. It is just very frustrating when I keep it all so nice and then all of the sudden I have this issue...again, and again, and again!! Thanks for the support , Maybe next year after I do drain half of the water it will be a little bit easier.....

CindyG1 said:
Thanks Optica, I am using bottled bleach, 6%. I do know my CYA is high and I am trying to replace some of the water. However I have 270000 gallons and the pool calculator says I need to replace half of it. I just can't afford to do that at this time so I have been keeping my FC at 9.5. I do not have an SWG pool. It is in full sun almost all day. I am going to Wally World in the early morn to buy more bleach. It is just very frustrating when I keep it all so nice and then all of the sudden I have this issue...again, and again, and again!! Thanks for the support , Maybe next year after I do drain half of the water it will be a little bit easier.....

Cindy, would it be safe to assume there is one too many zeros in the 270,000 gal of water?
If not I don't know how you afford the bleach either. One thing I would do, after you finish shocking is start adjusting my FC in the evening. I like to do that because if more chlorine burns off than you expect from the sun it's only low a few hours and not for 12-16 hours it will be if you do it in the mornings.

CindyG1,

Do you get the green stuff on the walls too or only on the floor? Algae would tend to grow on walls too unless the walls get very little sunlight. I am kinda wondering if this is not algae but some type of pollen dust or something else since you haven't been seeing any significant combined chlorine levels. Are you passing the OCLT?.

Anybody else seen anything green like this that wasn't algae? Most pollen posts i've seen have it yellow/brown colored. Where are you located? Maybe someone in the same general area can speak up about known things (types of pollen) in your area

If it is algae, we will be with you to give encouraging words and assistance where we can during the shock process. Good luck!.

Optica said:
Anybody else seen anything green like this that wasn't algae? Most pollen posts i've seen have it yellow/brown colored. Where are you located? Maybe someone in the same general area can speak up about known things (types of pollen) in your area

Yep. I fought it as if it were algae for 2 weeks and was about ready to throw in the towel. Then I read that some people who thought they had algae really had pollen. I started by trying a skimmer sock. My pool had been downright murky for a week or more with very little visibility. It took 2 days to notice a difference with the sock, but it did show improvement. Then I decided to try some DE. I added DE per the pool school instructions and brushed the entire pool to stir everything up real good, and 24 hours later I saw a HUGE improvement. We were almost back to sparkling, but then we got a big rain storm 2 nights ago and it got dirty again. I can tell that this will be an ongoing battle, but at least I won't need to keep buying bleach by the truckload anymore.

I live in Ga mountain area. I am surrounded by trees. I never thought of pollen but maybe your right. My cc's still aren't even at 1 , they are staying less than point 5. Oh, and yes ...I did have one too many zero's...my bad. I am passing the OCLT and there is nothing on the walls of the pool. The green dust does make the water cloudy when I brush but by morning the pool is sparkling clean. (until I brush again)...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, Cindy,

You have not shocked the pool. You need to get the FC up around 30ppm and hold it up there until your pool is crystal clear. That'll take a HUGE amount of bleach compared to what you have been using but there is no way I can think of around it.

How long each day do you run the pump? It should be running 24/7 until you can clear up that cloudiness. What type of filter do you have? Has it been cleaned/backwashed?

Go into Pool School and Read How to Shock Your Pool. If you follow those instructions precisely, your water will be crystal clear but it will never get that way if you continue using inadequate chlorine levels. Sorry to be blunt and bring bad news but you may as well decide to clean it up now or get ready to put it away for the fall.

Hello and good morning Duraleigh, I have not been posting my numbers on shocking the pool. I have not been at 30 , however, for the last 4 days I have been at 26.5 and the lowest it has gotten when I add more bleach is 21.5. I am writing it all down in a book each day so my numbers are accurate. I have passed the OCLT the last 3 mornings. I do still have a greenish cloud when I sweep. I am trying to get to 30 but now am wondering if it is even algae I am dealing with. The water is sparkling clear. I have read Pool School, numerous times and it does say that you can shock at lower levels...it just might take a little longer. Thing is...I pass all the tests. But...I still get a cloud when I sweep.

Can you post a new picture? It does not look sparkling clear in the photo above. Having passed the OCLT is certainly a good sign, but, at least in that picture, the water looks dull and thick. Could just be the angle or lighting?

You are right, crek31. In that pic it wasn't sparkling. I used that one to show the trees and it is an older pic. Her is one I just went outside and took. It is not sunny outside yet as it is only 7:30 AM here. But you can see the bottom of the pool and the ladder quite well.[attachment=1:1cb7qxf2]P1010088.JPG[/attachment:1cb7qxf2][attachment=0:1cb7qxf2]P1010089.JPG[/attachment:1cb7qxf2]

Attachments

• P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 417
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 378
Here is a pic of what it looked like after the storm...it is what I think created this issue. I cleaned it immediately the next morning . The storm was at night...but, I think all of the debris is what made such a mess. I did sweep and vacuum it the very next morning following the storm.[attachment=1:1uzkl6hq]P1010082.JPG[/attachment:1uzkl6hq][attachment=0:1uzkl6hq]P1010086.JPG[/attachment:1uzkl6hq]

Attachments

• P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 399
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 363
So my question is...if it is pollen do I just vacuum a lot? Or do I keep shocking the pool? It doesn't seem like it can get any clearer, I just get a green cloud when I sweep. I dropped the net into the pool so you could see how clear the water is and am attaching the pic. Also some more pics of all the trees around my pool.[attachment=2:1b7f34k2]P1010096.JPG[/attachment:1b7f34k2][attachment=1:1b7f34k2]P1010102 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:1b7f34k2][attachment=0:1b7f34k2]P1010103.JPG[/attachment:1b7f34k2]

Attachments

• P1010096.JPG
    P1010096.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 359
  • P1010102 - Copy.JPG
    P1010102 - Copy.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 342
  • P1010103.JPG
    P1010103.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 341
Beamup said:
Shocking doesn't help against pollen. A skimmer sock may. Running the pump longer and adding DE to the sand might be worth considering, also.
I'm with on all three. I'm hoping the DE helps and I might try some clarifier as well. The stuff might be going through the sand filter.
How long do you run your filter now?

Am I the only one wondering if that filter kinda small as well?

I have a larger filter than that and my pool is half the size. I would have gone up to the 27" if it wasn't for the fact I would have had to pay freight instead of free shipping. Coming from a DE filter I was worried about clarity so I went with the ZeoSand or ZeoBright whatever they call it now.

I bought this from a family member in need of money for only $500.00. It is the filter that came with it. So next season should I look into a larger filter? And the pump? I have added DE and I will try the skimmer sock. Does everyone agree that it is not algae then and I should stop shocking? I need some guidance here...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.