Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie, aspiring BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie, aspiring BBB

Newbie here, and I don't want to mess up the water! I am an aspiring BBB so tell me how I'm doing.
    FC - .2
    CC - .6
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 75
    CH - 150
    CYA - 30
    The pool store suggests 5 lbs of AlkPlus, but as I recall this is not necessary for vinyl pools. Also shock was suggested so I plan on boosting my bleach. Trying to figure on length of pump run too. Water is sparkling, even after a week away.

It would be great to have an informational section (maybe I haven't found it yet) for those folks having an AG pool installed informing them on what an installer is responsible for (what happens if my liner fails). We bought a used pool and and many installers expected us to already have the area leveled. When we had the pool professionally installed the liner failed on day 3, before anyone got a chance to swim in it, and we weren't sure who was responsible for the problem. The liner ripped on the seam, fortunately the pool store did replace the liner, the water and the re-install but it was a nightmare. Really great site, thanks.
    AG-Aqua Leader Jazz, 24'x52" Round, 14,633 gal, Hayward Power Flo LX 1.0 HP Pump, Clearwater II Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie, aspiring BBB

Boost your chlorine, now. You might be able to avoid shocking it, you're right on the cusp. Run it up to about 10. It will be okay to swim in it, and it will come down pretty fast. But if that one blast doesn't get rid of the CC, head over to Pool School and read up on how to shock your pool.

Pool Calculator will help you figure out how much bleach to add.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Technically...

.6ppm CC would show on a FAS-DPD test as 1ppm, and would indicate a need to begin shocking. I'd say put enough chlorine (bleach) in to raise it to 13ppm instead of 10ppm. If you're going to do this blind, may as well at least hit shock level initially and then attempt to run at regular minimum and high/target levels with bleach only. For 30ppm CYA, minimum is 2, target/high is 6 and shock is 13. If you're using tablets and stop, wait a week and measure CYA again. Expect to have to increase your minimum and high/target if it goes above 35ppm.

Pool store test results are suspect at best. Especially these super precise printouts and the sample can degrade on the way to the pool store, skewing results. You could have .4ppm CC or 1.2ppm. Seriously take that reading with a grain of salt, but err on the side of caution by raising to shock level right away. It can't hurt.

Can we urge you to get your own FAS-DPD test kit? Pretty please?

Leave the alkalinity alone for the moment. The pool surface doesn't matter so much for alkalinity, you might be thinking of calcium hardness and vinyl pools.

PH is fine as well for now, I wouldn't mess with it just yet. Swim and see how your eyes feel first, as well as where it drifts once you start using bleach only. Are you using tablets currently?

You can take that alkalinity up back to the store (if you bought it). Baking soda works just fine (same thing!).
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as your pH is not constantly low, then you don't need to raise the TA. Adding TA increaser (baking soda) would cause your pH to go too high.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Technically...

.6ppm CC would show on a FAS-DPD test as 1ppm.
    It could be accurate with a 25ml sample couldn't it? I know it would be a waste of regents but if memory serves me right I have seen posts of people doing it.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandlord
    Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Technically...

.6ppm CC would show on a FAS-DPD test as 1ppm.
    It could be accurate with a 25ml sample couldn't it? I know it would be a waste of regents but if memory serves me right I have seen posts of people doing it.
    Yes, 0.2 ppm is the resolution of the test when using a 25 ml sample, and 0.6 ppm could be accurate. Either way, it's still over 0.5 ppm, which indicates the need to shock.