New pool and new here

mckay

Aug 2, 2011
Clovis, Ca
Hi all, we just had our first pool completed last Friday. Ive read through the school and many posts here and BBB is the way I would like to go.
the PB has turned on the pump 24/7, filled a floater with 5 tablets and told me to brush religiously for the next week. He told me he would then show me how all this stuff works. My curiosity got the better of me and I just tested the water with the TF100 kit. As I suspected, he has not adjusted this pool.
readings follow;

PH 7.2
TC .5 (via small taylor kit)
CA 120
TA 90
CYA undetectable (filled tub all the way and it was just starting to get fuzzy)
FC 1.5
CC 0.0
TC 1.5 (by adding the two above)

So I have some work to do on this virgin pool, suggestions? I see many areas that need attention, order of operations would be great.

Im leaving the floater in for the meantime

I don't see any huge problem, myself.

pH is going to rise on it's own. I'd bet on it.
CH will likely also rise. And as you replenish water, it will rise more and more.
TA 90, that's your tap water. It will go down slowly as you adjust pH.
CYA, that's going to take a while to register, as it builds up from the floater.
FC 1.5, sounds about right for no CYA.

There's no point measuring with the color block if you're using the FAS-DPD, it's nowhere near as accurate, as you can see with your results.

The pool guy has responsibility right now, the numbers aren't anything to panic over, and I wouldn't say he hasn't adjusted the pool. Do nothing, test again tomorrow, and I bet the numbers will have shifted more towards the center of the range. When he hands the reins to you, then you can bump the CYA to wherever you want and started pouring in the bleach. In the meantime, don't say or do anything that can give him any excuse to weasel out of any warranty concerns later.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp mckay :wave:

Have you read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up.

Let us know if you have any questions!

I have read that and my PB and the plaster folks told me swim as soon as we want, just keep brushing to keep the dust in suspension. Its hard as a rock now.
We waited two days before we got in the water.

My CH level is very low and of course the FC is down.

What I gather is I need to address the FC and CYA right away and then start plugging away at the CH. Correct?
Im at this stage; "After 72 hours add the CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level."

Richard320 said:
I don't see any huge problem, myself.

pH is going to rise on it's own. I'd bet on it.
CH will likely also rise. And as you replenish water, it will rise more and more.
TA 90, that's your tap water. It will go down slowly as you adjust pH.
CYA, that's going to take a while to register, as it builds up from the floater.
FC 1.5, sounds about right for no CYA.

There's no point measuring with the color block if you're using the FAS-DPD, it's nowhere near as accurate, as you can see with your results.

The pool guy has responsibility right now, the numbers aren't anything to panic over, and I wouldn't say he hasn't adjusted the pool. Do nothing, test again tomorrow, and I bet the numbers will have shifted more towards the center of the range. When he hands the reins to you, then you can bump the CYA to wherever you want and started pouring in the bleach. In the meantime, don't say or do anything that can give him any excuse to weasel out of any warranty concerns later.

Good advice, Ill wait

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.