Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northstar problem..

1. Back To Top    #1

Northstar problem..

I have a 3 hp northstar pump ( way to oversized for my pool) anyway today i went to manually turn it on and all i get is a "buzz/hum" from the motor. Sounds like it is seized up. 20 minutes at least since its stopped and i cannot hold my hand on it longer then 2-3 seconds.

also i have 8 returns on my pool, a 24" waterfall and 4 fountains ( the later are not running all the time) If this pump is indeed wasted, what do you suggest for a replacement and where to buy for quick sale and overnight shipping? would like to stay with hayward so my existing unions fit the new pump.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northstar problem..

You might want to pull the cap off the back end of the motor and if it has a slot in the shaft, spin it with a screwdriver then quickly turn the switch on and see if it runs. If it runs it may just need a capacitor, about a thirty dollar fix. You may also be able to find someone to test the capacitor for you. A/c guys are usually good at checking them. If you have an electric motor shop nearby they could do it as well. Good luck
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandlord
    You might want to pull the cap off the back end of the motor and if it has a slot in the shaft, spin it with a screwdriver then quickly turn the switch on and see if it runs. If it runs it may just need a capacitor, about a thirty dollar fix. You may also be able to find someone to test the capacitor for you. A/c guys are usually good at checking them. If you have an electric motor shop nearby they could do it as well. Good luck
    ding ding ding... you win... i called my cousin the electrician/HVAC guy and we tested the capacitor just now and its bad, so i will try a new one tommorow. It spins freely.

thanks!
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Very good, you just saved a few hundred bucks at least. You can also Put the old one back on and spin the motor in its normal direction with the pump off then quickly turn it on to get it running then just let it run till you can go get one.

Make sure the new one is not only electrically the same but also fits back under the cap that covers it.

Good luck
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Located in NOLA

5. Back To Top    #5

GREAT ADVICE Dalandlord!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    GREAT ADVICE Dalandlord!!
    Thanks Ted
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Located in NOLA

7. Back To Top    #7

Very good, you just saved a few hundred bucks at least. You can also Put the old one back on and spin the motor in its normal direction with the pump off then quickly turn it on to get it running then just let it run till you can go get one.

Make sure the new one is not only electrically the same but also fits back under the cap that covers it.

Good luck
    the capacitor i got is too big to fit, but for $16 its good enough till i find the right demnsional size... waiting to hear from hayward. any suggestions for buying capacitors on hayward pumps? 55uf 370 V 1 7/8 diameter 3 3/4 long
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mikeginder
    the capacitor i got is too big to fit, but for $16 its good enough till i find the right demnsional size... waiting to hear from hayward. any suggestions for buying capacitors on hayward pumps? 55uf 370 V 1 7/8 diameter 3 3/4 long
    I would be shocked if you have to go to Hayward for that part but I think your best bets would be, an electric motor shop, a Leslie' pool supply or an a/c supply house. What you did is $16 well spent you just need to find one that fits to get it out the weather. The capacitor may have a brand name and model num that you can search for. I would say good luck but you already had that when it was the capacitor and not the motor. You'll be fine, nothing is ever too easy.
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Located in NOLA

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mikeginder
    I would be shocked if you have to go to Hayward for that part but I think your best bets would be, an electric motor shop, a Leslie' pool supply or an a/c supply house. What you did is $16 well spent you just need to find one that fits to get it out the weather. The capacitor may have a brand name and model num that you can search for. I would say good luck but you already had that when it was the capacitor and not the motor. You'll be fine, nothing is ever too easy.
    i was not really going to them for the part per se' , local electric motor repair place did not think they could get the exact cap. so i thought maybe hayward had a source. All they said was to check with AOS smith of i emerson.... if anyone knows of a source for a 55uf 370 v 1 7/8 dia x 3 3/4 L post it.. so far internet wise i struck out
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

10. Back To Top    #10

An a/c supply house?
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Located in NOLA

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there any writing on the capacitor besides the uF and volts?

Can you post all of the information from the motor label?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Is there any writing on the capacitor besides the uF and volts?

Can you post all of the information from the motor label?
    i have the cap info at work

motor info

A.O Smith Century Centurion
    SP 1620z1bnsc
    part 7 - 193256-03
    SN 057073m
    fr = y56j
    type = cx
    3hp sf = 1.60
    insul class b
    code = L
    encl = DP
    Volts = 208-230
    amps = sf 20.6 - 19
    form =kjm

assembled in MEXICO
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

13. Back To Top    #13

You have a Permanent Split Capacitor type motor. It uses a "Run" capacitor.

The closest that I can find is a 2-inch by 4-3/4-inch round capacitor.

It might be Hayward part number SMX300055003 or SMX306150002 or it might be this capacitor.

Information from the capacitor would help. You could contact Hayward or A.O Smith to see if they can help.

Note: The MFD (aka uF or microfarads) has to be the same, but you can use the next higher voltage if necessary. If a 370 volt is not available, then you could use a 440 volt capacitor.

14. Back To Top    #14

15. Back To Top    #15

cap info

CSC brand
    55 uf +/-6% 370 VAC/B50/60HZ
    40/070/21 P2 SH 0707 A 70C
    325P556H37N38N4X 628318
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

16. Back To Top    #16

The Aerovox that I showed above is the closest exact match that I could find. It is 2.00 inches instead of 1-7/8-inches. I don't know if that will matter.

I think that this capacitor will probably work. It is 50 MFD instead of 55 MFD, but I don't think that that would matter. [edit]Most references indicate that, for motor run capacitors, an exact match should be used. To be sure, you could contact A.O Smith.[end edit]

I would think that a local electric motor shop or pool store would have a suitable capacitor in stock or would be able to get one.

17. Back To Top    #17

You're a great guy, JamesW taking the time to run that down for him. Is this a great forum or what?
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Located in NOLA

18. Back To Top    #18

You're a great guy, JamesW taking the time to run that down for him. Is this a great forum or what?

yes THANK YOU SO MUCH and it is a great forum
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump