Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diamond Shaped pool

1. Back To Top    #1
    Hamilton, Ontario

Diamond Shaped pool

G'day folks. Everyone having a great summer?

I have a friend who purchased a home from an old jewelery store owner and the house has an old concrete DIAMOND SHAPED POOL. Any idea how I would determine how many gallons it holds? Impossible from what I see to measure W x L x D

Any help would be appreciated.
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mount Airy, Maryland

Re: Diamond Shaped pool

Break it down to triangles; Each triangle is (WxLxD)x1/2
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You can do it chemically by taking a measurement of say PH and then dosing a specific change and then re-measuring for the result.
    Glenn - Pickering, Ontario
    Circa 1980 Vinyl In-ground 80,000 Ltrs. ~ K2006 Kit ~ Hayward Pump/Navigator/Sand Filter ~ Raypak 255 Gas Heater

4. Back To Top    #4
    Metro Atlanta, Georgia

If you want to do it geometrically, you can still break the pool down in measurable areas (rectangles triangles squares) then multiply by the average depth. Or break in to several volumes and sum up geometric volumes as well.

Here is an interesting thread on calculating volumes using chemicals and other ways to estimate that might be helpful.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim