Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How annoying

1. Back To Top    #1

How annoying

How annoying

I had a in-ground pool put in late last year with a Hayward 1HP 2 speed pump, Maxiflo 2 series. The pool uses an automation system and is connected to two solar systems, one for the house and one that is a pool system.

The pump stopped working while we were away and the solar exchanger got so hot that it melted the PVC connected to it. The house solar system heat dumps at 180 degrees but obviously it needs to be lower for the pool plumbing.

What has me mad is that dealing with the dealer is a nightmare and because I removed the pump I may have voided the warranty. How nuts. It was easy to see it was the pump motor because the plastic fan inside the motor was sideways and clearly something catastrophic happened inside the motor. All I did was remove the two unions and the electric, which I had connected anyway since they don’t do electric.

I have a Pentair Automation system and maybe I should have purchased a Pentair.

Is this normal?

Is the Hayward a cheep pump?
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How annoying

Didn't the solar have a way to drain when the flow stopped?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Didn't the solar have a way to drain when the flow stopped?
    I have two solar systems, one is a pool system that drains and the other is a closed loop house system with a water/water exchanger at the pool pump. The pipes melted because there was no circulating pool water in the exchanger. I will install a pressure sensor so that the pool exchanger doesn't get any hot water from the house solar unless there is water pressure in the pool pipes. I had actually thought about it but didn't install it and I don't remember why.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

4. Back To Top    #4

Even more annoying is that I'm still waiting for a replacement pump and if I could buy one I would because I never thought I wouldn't have it by this weekend but it looks very possible right now.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Don't blame Hayward if your dealer is a jerk. Removing the pump would not normally void a warranty, although some dealers will stick you any way they can. Unless you took the pump apart & changed something, the mfg. isn't going to care.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.