Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Water still cloudy

So I am not a pool owner anymore, but I maintain my neighbors for them. I switched them over to the BBB method this year when we moved in. The funny thing is... he works for a pool company!

Anyways... He started the year off w/a new liner and water from a truck. So I get it going and inform him it will be at least a week before the kids (5 of them) can swim. Well it didnt work, they were swimming before the water was ready. I havent had much problem w/it all summer till now. I ran out of chlorine 2 x's and it got green both times. 1st time, not to bad, still could see the bottom, maybe 2 days w/o it, shocked it right back to normal. This last time, it was bad. It went about 5 days w/o any chlorine, plus he said somehow the kids flipped the switch to the pump in the house so it didnt run for about 2 days.

On the 11th is when I finally got chlorine and stabilizer to get it going again. Here's been my results thus far...

Pool specs...
    Sand filter
    18ft round above ground
    vinyl liner

8/4/11 (when diaster started to happen)
    FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    PH 8.2
    TA 210
    CH 270
    CYA 0

8/11/11 (1st night back on track)
    FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    PH 8.2
    TA 200
    CH 240
    CYA 0
    I added 159 oz chlorine, 56 oz acid, and 53 oz stabilizer.

8/13/11
    FC 9
    CC 0
    TC 9
    PH 7.2
    TA 170
    CH 230
    CYA 0
    Not sure what I added because I didn't write it down.

8/15/11 (morning)
    FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    PH 7.2
    TA 180
    CH 240
    CYA 0

8/15/11 (night)
    FC 7
    PH 6.8
    TA 160

8/16/11 (morning)
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 170
    CH 230
    CYA 30

I have added a total of 18 gallons of chlorine (12.5%) since this has all started. And probably 3/4 of the stabilizer, and 1.5 gallons of acid. I can finally see the bottom, no more green. It's just a cloudy clear, but the water sparkles in the sun (where it didn't before). I've tried to get him to take the steps out so i can clean them, but nothing thus far! It's almost like a losing battle w/him. He told me that in years past all he ever did was keep chlorine pucks in the inline feeder, throw some floc in every week, vaccum it out and be done. He didn't backwash, rinse, brush, etc! I've backwashed twice a week w/rinse, brush all the time, and he doesnt use the pucks anymore.

So where did I go wrong?? I can try and get a picture up too.
    18X36, 30,000 gal, hayward high rate sand filter, IG, vinyl, hydrotools inline chlorine feeder (using the remaining of my 3" tabs)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water still cloudy

Nowhere that I see. The shock process can take a long time, in my case it took two weeks.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Some pics of it. Not the best, but ya get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18X36, 30,000 gal, hayward high rate sand filter, IG, vinyl, hydrotools inline chlorine feeder (using the remaining of my 3" tabs)

4. Back To Top    #4

My biggest question is who buys the chlorine and why did you run out? Especially for 5 days.

A good sized algae bloom can take a lot more than 18 gallons to clear up.

The only thing you did wrong was be concerned. Maybe you should just tell him to go back to the way he was doing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like it's time for some PNP (Pool Neighbor Patience) :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Those pics tell me you are getting close. Keep shocking!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!