LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Been cleaning a neglected pool for over a month now.

Seems there is a pool light installed. To be accurate, water is still a bit cloudy, so it is hard to be sure there is a light there, but I cannot imagine why there would be a glass enclosure in the wall of the pool, unless it was for a light.

Question. What steps would one go through to determine how to operate the light?

The light opening (enclosure) is about 3 feet below the water level.

There should be a junction box behind the light, above the ground. Maybe against a fence or something else. If it doesn't have a switch there, there'll be one either at the sub panel or on a wall somewhere, probably near the rest of the equipment.

Bama Rambler said:
There should be a junction box behind the light, above the ground. Maybe against a fence or something else. If it doesn't have a switch there, there'll be one either at the sub panel or on a wall somewhere, probably near the rest of the equipment.

Thanks Dave!! :idea: There is a box inside the pool out-building the I could not figure what it was for. It has some words (manufactor name, etc) but I cannot remmeber what they are. I will try and get a picture tonight after work. Do not remember seeing a switch on it though., but there are some switches in the out-building.

To continue my question, not knowing the condition of the pool, but do knowing electricity and water do not mix well, what precautions would I need to take to check this? Also, assumming the bulb needs changed (now or in the future), can this be done underwater? safely?

Assuming it was installed correctly in the first place there will be a gfci for it and it's rated to be a swimming pool light.

There's a provision for removing the light from the niche and there will be enough cable to lay it on the deck so you can work on it.

:!: Now that I think of it, there is a switch on the equipment power pole located by the pump/filter/plumbing. Maybe that is it? The pole has two outlets, one with the switch, and one that connects to an timer. Whenever the switch is turned to the "ON" position, it trips the circuit. Whenever anything (like the pump) that draws a significant load is plugged in, it trips the circuit. Something small, like a radio or circuit tester functions fine. Supposed to have an electrician friend looking at it, but that has not panned out as of yet. I am betting now, there is a good chance that it is all related....

Here are some pictures.

First is the possible junction box.

Second is the power switch.

If this is correct, then the next process would be to fix the power pole power??
[attachment=1:1xy39akj]junction.jpg[/attachment:1xy39akj]
[attachment=0:1xy39akj]powerpole.jpg[/attachment:1xy39akj]

Attachments

• junction.jpg
    junction.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 80
  • powerpole.jpg
    powerpole.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 80
Bama Rambler said:
There should be just some wires joined together if it's a 120 volt light. If it's a 12 volt there's probably a transformer under there.

Thanks again Dave. I popped the cover, and three wires coming in from both openings. One wire of each are grounded off, and the others are connected with wire nuts. Underside of the plate has more info stamped on it. Part of the stamp read "pool junction" or some verbage as such. Will have to run a trace, to see if it goes over to the power pole switch, but that only makes sense at this point.

Still concerned as to why the power is not working correctly. Most of the other equipment damage was weather related (freezing), but nor sure how that could explain the light/pole not functioning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.