Dead roaches and a Gecko in skimmer basket

Jul 27, 2011
Just today i saw some roaches and a gecko inside the Quick skimmer basket. I am confused, Is it still safe to swim in this water ?? Because I don't know for how may days these animal's are in the basket.

I am confused how do I clean this mess now

What are your test results? How does your water look?
I know this question comes up all the time, but they will help us help you.

If your water chemistry is still good, .5 or less CCs, Free Chlorine levels are at or above minimum for your CYA and your water is clear, you should be fine. If you really wanted to be sure your could try and Overnight Chlorine loss Test. It's not uncommon to find little critters in your skimmers (or pool) even when water chemistry is correct.

Honestly, this your pool. The whole point is that it is for your enjoyment. If you're not enjoying the pool, then feel free to do something that will allow you to. What would make you feel more comfortable? If adding some extra chlorine or shocking would make you feel better, then by all means do so. We're just saying, if your chemistry is good and your water is clear you're fine. The chlorine did it job and kept your water safe and sanitary for swimming.

As far as the critters go, think of it like this. A pool looks like a big watering hole. Those critters don't know or care that is chlorinated, borated, or whatever. They just know its water and they want some, occasionally they fall in and get trapped. When they do they end up in your skimmer or pool bottom. I don't know if you have a dog, but they'll drink out of a pool without a second thought, why would bugs or other critter be different? Same for swimming, after dogs take a swim, the pool is still safe (assuming the chemistry is still good, etc...), same goes for other critters.

I'd freak out at a rat, a bird, or a squirrel if it had been there a few days.

Bugs don't count. And geckos and lizards don't have much to them either.

From time to time I get a huge number of centipedes in the pool. Not squishy so not much of a bother.

We used to get chipmunks on a regular basis (until they all drowned I guess...). I just would test for CC, there never was any, even if it had disintegrated a little bit :puker:

Just haveta wait for the smell to dissipate, then you're good to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
We used to get chipmunks on a regular basis (until they all drowned I guess...). I just would test for CC, there never was any, even if it had disintegrated a little bit :puker:

Just haveta wait for the smell to dissipate, then you're good to go.

Lol, I wish my pool would get rid of my chipmunks. Either they know to stay away, or have figured out how to drink from it and not fall in and get trapped.

There is a small stream just behind my pool fence that feeds into a wet land area. So I get all kinds of critters in the pool every day. Last night there must have been a mass migration of earth worms because the bottom of the pool was littered with them - dozens and dozens. It's a rare day that I don't find some kind of animal in the skimmer or on the bottom of the pool. I've had turtles as big as dinner plates, bullfrogs, snakes, armadillos, squirrels, lizards, and even a small raccoon (still alive- but weak). About two weeks ago I found four ducks in the pool swimming around enjoying themselves. In the past I've found Canadian geese swimming in the pool and pooping in the water. So a few bugs don't bother me at all - just keep the chlorine levels up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.