Sand in pool

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hello all,
Finally got my sand filter, SWG and heat pump all hooked up for the last few weeks of the season. I'm using Zeobrite in a 2650 intex sand filtration system(could not find silica sand so had to get the Zeobrite). Prior to installing all of this I was using the regular little Intex cartridge filter that comes with the pool, and the SWG, and my water was brilliantly clear. After hooking up the new sand filter, there is cloudiness in the pool. It looks like sand dust perhaps. I am thinking that maybe I did not backwash enough. Is there any way to get this out of the pool. It's not terrible, but if it was the first of the season I would want it out. If I can't get it out without draining I'll leave it as is because there is only a few weeks left. Thanks for any advice.
GC

Not familiar with Zeobrite from experience, but did you not backwash and rinse before putting it into filter mode? I would imagine it has dust just like new sand though. You should try to vac it up and see what happens...nothing to lose.

I set up a sand filter with ZeoBright earlier this year. After talking to The zeo people on the phone the dust was a concern. We ended up washing it before putting it in the filter. Talk about a PITA, I would not recommend going through the trouble. On the recommendation of the Zeo people I also bought a bottle of clarifier and poured about half of it around the edges of the pool right before starting the initial back wash process. It worked out fine. They also told me backwas and rinse 3 times before going to filter. It has alot of very fine dust from the way they mine it.

I would think the two things you can do is add clarifier so your filter can catch it. The other thing you do is vacuum to waste. I would add the clarifier and vacuum to waste first, trying my best to very gently vacuum so as to disturb it as little as possible while vacuuming to waste. Then I would see what the filter catches after that. Whatever you do just be sure the next time you backwash be sure you backwash and rinse very good, make sure the site glass is clear before putting it back on filter. If more settles on the bottom repeat. The clarifier will help the filter catch the fine sand particles.

All this said, I am happy with the Zeobrite. I bought because I was looking for the ease of cleaning that a sand filter offers. Just backwash and go. But I was replacing an old DE filter that was a lot of trouble and developed a leak at the gasket we couldn't stop. The one thingthe old DE filter did well was keep the water amazingly clear. I had friends with sand filters that did not have water that looked as good as mine so I gave the Zeo a shot. So far so good. Hopefully once you get this cleared up you will be happy with it.

GreatCanadian said:
Yes, I did backwash and then rinse. I'm thinking that I didn't backwash enough. Another thought just came to mind. Can the sand dust (if that's what it is) damage the titanium coated plates on the SWG? Or is it too fine for that.
That is what happened you didn't backwash it enough, as far as the SWG I would guess it would be too fine to damage it. This is very fine dust, but my only experience with a SWG is my own. I do believe the dust in question is finer then the silt the wind blows in my pool daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.