Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mystery device on a pump pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

mystery device on a pump pipe

hi all, was hoping for a little advice -- the answer is probably very obvious.

On one of the pipes to the filter, there is some sort of tiny device (sensor?) that is attached to the pipe by a metal band. This device has a small wire which connects to the pump. Here are a few pics of it.

Well, there is a tiny leak from the pipe, right where this little device sits on the pipe... it... it sprays out in a tiny little jet of water constantly. Do I need to have this pipe replaced? Is it a complicated job due to this little device? Can someone tell me what this device is? thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    6600 gal Barrier Reef fiberglass IG
    Cartridge/digital pool pilot SWCG/w/heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: mystery device on a pump pipe

That looks like a temperature sensor to me. It probably just needs a new sealing gasket to seal between the sensor and the pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dripping Springs, TX

I would have guessed that it is either a temperature sensor or a flow sensor. I thought these would be connected to the automation system though, not the pump.
    I'll check my equipment pad in the morning to verify.
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

Could also be a salt sensor, but my vote goes to temp sender.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

Looks like you have two of them. One on the discharge of each pump. Is that correct?
    Where does it connect to the pump at?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

ahhh.. i think you guys are right... the wires seem to connect to the automation system. (it does display the temp of the pool and spa separately). So, does this sensor pierce the pipe to measure the temp? Or does it just measure the temp on the outside of the PVC-ish looking pipe? Trying to figure out if I should try to fix it myself... thanks!
    6600 gal Barrier Reef fiberglass IG
    Cartridge/digital pool pilot SWCG/w/heat pump

7. Back To Top    #7
    Southern California

There should be a small hole drilled int he pipe for the sensors probe to touch the water. The sensor probably has a piece of gasket material sealing it to the pipe and the clamp holds it on tight. Maybe just try tightening the clamp first to see if that stops the leak. If not, I would pull the clamp off and inspect the sensor and how it seals to the pipe = it might just be epoxied, or oring around the probe or gasket material. This is definitely where you are leaking.
    12,000 Gal IGP, Gunite/Plaster, Pentair DE & Pump, Heliocol Solar, K-2006, BBB'd & Borated.