New Plaster Already Bad?

May 21, 2009
I got new plaster 15 months ago...Before I had it done my old surface had orange looking stains on the floor - kinda where the floors meets the walls - almost all the way around. I am now seeing these stains again and am pretty sure that they are not new ones - but are the old ones showing through again. I also have some real rough spots in the new plaster.
I am thinking that the company did not do this job right to begin with. New plaster should not be like this.
I stay on top of things pretty good with the chemicals.

My biggest fear is that the company is going to try to wiggle out of responsibility when I report this to them. I am trying to think of the best approach to tell them. Should I have another company come look at it and give their opinion- on paper.?

Any other thoughts on this problem?
thanks

As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like rebar is rusting and staining through the cement, and now plaster. Thats and issue with original construction and I don't know if it can ever be stopped. One of the renovation/builder guys should answer further on this one. Just curious, did the new plaster job people say anything about their work stopping this problem or give any warranty on it? I somehow doubt it, but really curious what will happen.

How about some photos? I've heard of rebar rusting through, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a picture of it. The plaster is supposed to be completely waterproof, which would prevent any rust from getting in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.