Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blown GFI?? Heavy Rains possibly cause it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Maryland (near Delaware)

Blown GFI?? Heavy Rains possibly cause it?

So we had about 6 inches of rain here in the last few days. Tonight my filter was not running and I noticed my timer was off by 5 hours and powered down. Now I havea protected outdoor outlet with a GFI that tripped? At the time the timer stopped the pump was not on so there should have been no load. Could heavy amounts of moisture cause that? The timer is on a 4x4 and the gfi is about 10-12 feet away where it is partially buried according to code. I have been running the pump for 4 hours and no issues.

Is this something that could happen with all the rains, I am not sure if it was raining at my home today but near my work about 30 miles away we had heavy lightning.
    As for the Wiring, it was all done by a licensed electrician and up to code, the inside breaker did not go.

15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Blown GFI?? Heavy Rains possibly cause it?

It doesn't take much moisture to trip a GFCI, and it will trip regardless of whether it's loaded or not.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Blown GFI?? Heavy Rains possibly cause it?

Ditto what he said.

I had a wet extension cord that I was going to use with my submersible pump once during a rainstorm. Wiped the prongs dry on my pants, plugged it in, bang. Nothing was plugged into the other end yet! They're that fussy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!