Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whisperflow pump making NEW STRANGE LOUD noise!

1. Back To Top    #1

Whisperflow pump making NEW STRANGE LOUD noise!

I inherited the pump when I bought the house 1 year ago. Don't know it's age or it's history. One day it started making a small whining noise. A noise that didn't exist until just last week when it started. The pump still works as normal, I haven't noticed any drop in it's efficiency. BUT, the noise is getting louder and louder with each passing day. It's a loud whining noise and it happens right at the joint of the pump, where the motor portion meets the water inlet area by what seems to be the impeller (a guess).

I've taken out the strainer basket and reached in there and felt the impeller blades and rotated it just fine. It does not bind or hang up on itself and it rotates fine. But it sounds to me as if that may be the problem. Do they have bearings? How do I replace something like that? Is it even something I can do myself? Should i just buy a whole new pump? I'd like to NOT do that seeing as how a new costs quite a bit.....
    18,000 Gallons plaster, in ground. Pentair quad cartridge filter system charged w/DE. Built in the early 70's. Location: Bakersfield California. Summer temps from early May to late September, up into the 100'sF. Very low shade over pool, not until LATE evening. Palm tree drops pods from neighbors yard.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: Whisperflow pump making NEW STRANGE LOUD noise!

sounds like bearings. look for an electric motor repair shop in your area
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Whisperflow pump making NEW STRANGE LOUD noise!

You can replace the motor bearings yourself. You'll have to take the pump apart but it's a pretty straight forward process.
    Here's a topic on how to replace the seal. It'll show you how to tear it down.
    You'll also want to replace the seal when you replace the bearings.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit