New here, pool finally clear for the 2nd time this year

It was clear when we filled it in June, and its been cloudy until today for most of the summer :)
Switched to walmart bought borax and bleach but struggled with white cloudy water that would settle to the bottom
but constantly get stirred up and seemed to circulate right through the filter and back into the pool.
Shocked pool, added DE to sand filter, adjusted ph with borax and today the pool is finally clear and 81 deg.
Looking forward to starting next season clear and sparkly and keeping it that way !

We were in the pool today quite a bit........... relieved that it was clear
FC dropped below 1, added walmart bleach to bring it back up to 4
I finally feel confident that I can maintain the pool for a season
thanks

repsolal said:
FC dropped below 1, added walmart bleach to bring it back up to 4

Oops, had to edit my post because I was going to tell you that you should never let your FC get below your "minimum" target level in relation to CYA, but on a second read of your post I saw that you had a heavy use day (hot weather, full sun, lot's of swimmers = high FC demand) and that's why she dropped out on ya. One way to compensate for times that you know you'll have heavy usage is to dose +1 or +2ppm above your "maximum" target FC the night before. You can safely swim right up to your "Shock" level for your CYA level, if that eases your mind when you overdose. Otherwise, glad to hear you're clear :goodjob:

My wife just commented that this year was just like last year as far as the pool getting cloudy..........
Right after our youngest girls birthday pool party !!! 10 7-8 yr olds in a 15' round intex easy-set
many of them lathered up by their parents with WAAAAAAAY to much sunscreen.
And just a few days later the pool turned green and then stayed cloudy for the rest of the summer.
Luckily this year, I found this board and did some studying....... and the pool is back to being clear.
Next year I will be much better prepared.
Had another afternoon of fun in the pool today and added more chlorine to keep things in check.
:cheers:

repsolal said:
My wife just commented that this year was just like last year as far as the pool getting cloudy..........
Right after our youngest girls birthday pool party !!! 10 7-8 yr olds in a 15' round intex easy-set
many of them lathered up by their parents with WAAAAAAAY to much sunscreen.
And just a few days later the pool turned green and then stayed cloudy for the rest of the summer.
Luckily this year, I found this board and did some studying....... and the pool is back to being clear.
Next year I will be much better prepared.
Had another afternoon of fun in the pool today and added more chlorine to keep things in check.
:cheers:

Now you're getting it!! Pretty easy isn't it? You now know your pool. And once you get to know him / her, it's really easy to keep him / her in line. Wish I could say the same for my wife :lol:

Richard320 said:
You might ask at the pool store for a Scumball, or one of its competitors. It floats around and absorbs oils, but not water, so all that lotion ends up there, instead of in your filter.

Agreed :goodjob:
I use the "Sunsorb" (a little smiley face that sits in the skimmer) and it, amazingly, does what it is supposed to do. I have seen a decrease in the scumline that used to form in the skimmer from all the sunscreen and sweat. And I don't see a "sheen" on the top of my water either. Charlie ... or otherwise :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.