Small line to big hole

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
When I got home today I noticed the pool was way too low. I ran out, turned off the pump, and saw water pouring out at ground level. I grabbed my patch kit, jumped in, and found a thin line about 1 1/2 inches long. Immediately after I put the patch on, it opened up into a hole. I put down a second, bigger patch while the hole continued opening to about a 2 1/2 inch diameter. I then got out of the pool and pushed as much mud as I possibly could back under the spot where it was leaking, The hole seems to have stopped growing. I have no idea what caused the problem. Now, looking forward, I have 2 questions:

1. Can a hole this size be patched properly or do we need a new liner? We bought this pool new and had it installed April 2009. We paid a lot for this pool to try and not have these types of problems. The liner has a 25 year pro rated warranty.

2. In the meantime, is it safe to swim in? I have 2 little fish (5 and 6 years old). I don't know if the hole could suddenly open up really big and the suction kill us all. Wow. That sounds quite melodramatic, but when I husband voiced the concern it sounded possible to me.

I feel sick to my stomach. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.