Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small line to big hole

1. Back To Top    #1

Small line to big hole

When I got home today I noticed the pool was way too low. I ran out, turned off the pump, and saw water pouring out at ground level. I grabbed my patch kit, jumped in, and found a thin line about 1 1/2 inches long. Immediately after I put the patch on, it opened up into a hole. I put down a second, bigger patch while the hole continued opening to about a 2 1/2 inch diameter. I then got out of the pool and pushed as much mud as I possibly could back under the spot where it was leaking, The hole seems to have stopped growing. I have no idea what caused the problem. Now, looking forward, I have 2 questions:

1. Can a hole this size be patched properly or do we need a new liner? We bought this pool new and had it installed April 2009. We paid a lot for this pool to try and not have these types of problems. The liner has a 25 year pro rated warranty.

2. In the meantime, is it safe to swim in? I have 2 little fish (5 and 6 years old). I don't know if the hole could suddenly open up really big and the suction kill us all. Wow. That sounds quite melodramatic, but when I husband voiced the concern it sounded possible to me.

I feel sick to my stomach. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small line to big hole

Is the hole at a seam? If it is the warranty will take care of a new liner.

If you've stopped the leak then it's ok to swim in, but I would pack dry dirt in the void under the wall as best you can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Small line to big hole

The hole is about 6 inches from the side of the pool. I don't think it is at the seam. I'm waiting for the store that I bought my pool from to call me back. We didn't go swimming and I haven't added water back into the pool. I'm not confident that the patch will hold.
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP