Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Is This??

1. Back To Top    #1

What Is This??

We moved into a new house about 8 months ago and we're trying to figure out all of our pool mysteries. At the shallow end we have this:

It appears to be some kind of swim jet to swim against the current. That's what it appears to be but there must be something missing. The two pipes stubbed up through the top of the deck have caps on them (I ground them off to try to figure out what's going on here). Those two pipes just go straight down to the "jets" that are below the water line on the wall. What is weird too is those two jets are connected inside of the pool wall. If I squirt water from the hose into one of the jets I can feel it coming out of the other one. The two "grates" in the bottom of the wall seem to be attached to each other as well. Here are some other pictures:

Inside one of the jets. You can see the pipe going up to the one stubbed through the deck. The pipe going back just loops around to the other jet.

15,000 Gal In-Ground w/ Spillover Spa, Pebble Finish
    120 Sq Ft Hayward Cartridge Filter, 1.5HP Single Speed Pump, (4) 4’X12’ Solar Panels, Circupool SI45 SWG
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Is This??

Is that where you add the bleach? Like the washing machine?
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Those look like air injection jets. They should be tied to a pump somewhere. When you run the jets the venturi effect pulls air into the jets and creates bubbles.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

got a pic all of your equipment?

5. Back To Top    #5

They don't seem to be tied into anything. All the pipes seem to dead end. I'll take a picture tomorrow of all of the equipment. I do have a blower out by my pump but haven't gotten it to turn on yet. I have a switch next to my pool light switch that doesn't do anything right now so I need to do some investigating. I guess if I can get the blower to turn on I might see some air come out of the jets.
    120 Sq Ft Hayward Cartridge Filter, 1.5HP Single Speed Pump, (4) 4’X12’ Solar Panels, Circupool SI45 SWG
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I've made some progress but still not there yet. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the equipment yet, but I did do some investigating after dark tonight. The switch next to the light switch is the blower switch. The blower needs to be replaced. I pulled it off of the pipe is was on top of and used a hose to squirt water down the pipe. Eventually water came out of the jets in the spa. Nothing came out of the mysterious jets in the pool though. I'll still try to get a picture of the equipment but I've traced every pipe now and none of them feed the jets in the pool.
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you feed a fish tape or anything to route the pipe?
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by AGT
    Have you feed a fish tape or anything to route the pipe?
    Which pipe? I tried a fish tape through one of the jets in the pool and tried one down one of the pipes stubbed up in the deck. Neither one got me anywhere. Should I try one down the blower pipe?
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you tried plugging the pipes on the deck and one of the jets and sticking a water hose in the other jet to see where the water goes?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Have you tried plugging the pipes on the deck and one of the jets and sticking a water hose in the other jet to see where the water goes?
    Good idea. Ill give that a try.
    Pool Installed in 1998
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

It looks like a "stupid man's" swim jet system - the stupid man being the builder, not the consumer. The grates at the bottom look like they may originally have been the suction for a pump, the two underwater pipes being the returns, and the deck pipes are the venturi. Perhaps/hopefully it was disconnected at some time past due to it's extremely hazardous design. Unfortunately, there are builders who charge a couple extra thousand bucks for this and call it "swim jets". I can't see what's behind the deck at this point, but if you were to dig back there, you might find the pipes cut and capped to disable this. If you look around by your equipment, perhaps buried now, you might also find some abandoned pipes that may feed this.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.