Should I hire a pool designer or just let the PB do that?

jackty

Jan 18, 2011
West Tennessee
The landscaper that we have used apparently also designs pools. He would work with me on the design, then meet with me and the PBs that I want to interview. He would be doing the landscaping around the pool and act as the general contractor for the build. He is happy to take me to other customers homes to talk about their experience. He's a good guy, and he knows which PBs are reputable and which ones to avoid. He also has a business relationship with the area PBs, so I'm thinking that they might work harder for him. (I'm also not confrontational at all, but he seems to have no problems with confrontation so it would be nice to have someone like that on my side if necessary) On the other hand.... I don't know if it could go the other way and I end-up pi##ing off a PB by 1) showing up with a design at our initial meeting and 2) having hired a GC for the project.

This guy charges $500 for the design (it's hand drawn and includes all of his landscaping). So I guess I'm asking 1) is it worth it to pay someone for a pool design 2)is having this guy serve as a GC necessary 3)what would you do?

Re: Should I hire a pool designer or just let the PB do that

I think you've already answered your own question. It sounds like you have a good relationship with this guy and he's willing to take the GC job. I suggest you employ his services. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Re: Should I hire a pool designer or just let the PB do that

We hired a Landscape Architect to design our whole yard (front and back). He was going to do the design in several increments:

1) Basic Design with 1 major revision and several minor revisions. I think this was about $800
2) Detail Landscape Design - Specific Plants, trees, etc - Something like +$500
3) Detailed Irrigation plan - drip, sprinklers, valves, timers, etc - Something like +$500
4) Detailed Electrical plan - lights, speakers power, etc - Something like +$500
5) Detailed Hardscape - Rocks, concrete, steps etc. - Something like +$500

The whole idea was to get a complete design and then get bids for the different elements (Act as a GC).

We were not real happy with the first design. We told him several key elements we wanted and it was like he didn't listen. It took him too long to get back to us on the re-desgin, so in the mean time we contacted another PB.

My PB did all the basic design (Pool, Yard, Hardscape, etc) and even rendered it in 3D for free. He was able to use the initial Architect's design and fix all the problem areas. He gave us a detailed bid and came in right at our budget.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.