I got some really strange looks

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
I decided to bite the bullet and add borax to the pool. The pool calculator said I needed 24 - 76 oz boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax. So off to Wal-Mart I go and load up a buggy with 25 boxes (surprised they had that many). Boy, did I get some strange looks. One old guy looked at the cart and said "I'll bet you run a commercial laundry don't you?" I said "no, it's for my pool". Old guy "huh, never heard of that before, is it dirty?". There was an old lady - maybe 80 - 85 that kept looking at the cart then at me and I could tell curiosity was about to get the best of her. I passed her twice as I was picking up some other things and both times she struggled to keep from asking what they were for. Finally the third time I saw her I told her they were for my swimming pool and she just said "oh" and kind of shook her head. As I was checking out the checker asked if I was reselling them on ebay or Craig's list or were they marked with the wrong price? I said "no, I'm using them for a special project".

I put 3 gallons of HCL and 14 boxes of borax in the pool yesterday and kept the pump running over night. This morning my readings were:

TC 5.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 50
CYA 40

I'll add the rest this afternoon or in the morning. I don't have any test strips yet, but they have been ordered and should be here by the end of the week. Hoping I'll see the same benefits others have reported.

Haha yeah like when I buy a lot of bleach...its kinda fun if I wear a shirt I stained a deck in because of the dry blood look...and then I will just act like I am in a hurry

I had to hit 3 Safeway supermarkets in one night- (they only stock 7 boxes per store)- I essentially wiped out the entire supply for my area...And yes, you do get some odd looks in the checkout line...

Lucky someone didn't call Homeland Security on you, so they could see what you were up to with all that Borax....."pool, sure buddy - your gonna come downtown to answer a few questions" :cop:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.