Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I got some really strange looks

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mobile, Alabama

I got some really strange looks

I decided to bite the bullet and add borax to the pool. The pool calculator said I needed 24 - 76 oz boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax. So off to Wal-Mart I go and load up a buggy with 25 boxes (surprised they had that many). Boy, did I get some strange looks. One old guy looked at the cart and said "I'll bet you run a commercial laundry don't you?" I said "no, it's for my pool". Old guy "huh, never heard of that before, is it dirty?". There was an old lady - maybe 80 - 85 that kept looking at the cart then at me and I could tell curiosity was about to get the best of her. I passed her twice as I was picking up some other things and both times she struggled to keep from asking what they were for. Finally the third time I saw her I told her they were for my swimming pool and she just said "oh" and kind of shook her head. As I was checking out the checker asked if I was reselling them on ebay or Craig's list or were they marked with the wrong price? I said "no, I'm using them for a special project".

I put 3 gallons of HCL and 14 boxes of borax in the pool yesterday and kept the pump running over night. This morning my readings were:

TC 5.0
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 50
    CYA 40

I'll add the rest this afternoon or in the morning. I don't have any test strips yet, but they have been ordered and should be here by the end of the week. Hoping I'll see the same benefits others have reported.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I got some really strange looks

Haha yeah like when I buy a lot of bleach...its kinda fun if I wear a shirt I stained a deck in because of the dry blood look...and then I will just act like I am in a hurry
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

3. Back To Top    #3
    san jose, ca.

I had to hit 3 Safeway supermarkets in one night- (they only stock 7 boxes per store)- I essentially wiped out the entire supply for my area...And yes, you do get some odd looks in the checkout line...
    20k gal. 36' In ground Med. Blue plaster, two-speed EcoPump EP6, Pentair 3.14 sq. Ft. Sand w/zeosand, Spectralight SL 500, RayPak 2100 heater, Polaris 360,GE Timer 15087, Borates 80 ppm.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

Lucky someone didn't call Homeland Security on you, so they could see what you were up to with all that Borax....."pool, sure buddy - your gonna come downtown to answer a few questions"
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm lucky, I found 4 gals of 10% @ $11, which is a bit cheaper than clorox. I could be buying a truck load and not get one look
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]