Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to clean filter cartridges

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to clean filter cartridges

Hi all,

What is the best way to clean a filter that will get it really good and clean? I do the "spray with hose" method but that seems to buy me less than a week. It is lowering the flow rate which causes the heater to not run. I searched a little and see some reccomending dishwasher soap soaking, and I think in the past I remember a commercial cleaning solution. So how can I get it really clean? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to clean filter cartridges

Soak them overnight in either TSP or cheap powdered dishwasher detergent. This will degrease them. If that doesn't do it, then an acid bath is called for due to scale. (4 parts water - 1 part Muriatic)

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Which filter do you have?
    How old are your cartridge(s)?

Once they get so old they clog up pretty tight and cleaning won't clear them. Try Scotts suggestion and if that doesn't work it may be time for new ones.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure which ones I have, they're big and round... Anywsay i have two filters because the pool guy used last year included it in the closing process. But even that one is giving issues. Is it possible we have a water problem that is causing them to clog? Last time the water wastested the pH was a little low, and I stick to a regimen of bleach and cleaning, so the water is usually nice and clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I suspect that Scotts suggested cleaning will take care of things.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit