Pump went today (need advice)

diyguy

Aug 15, 2011
Hi just signed up, looking for any advice at this point

I have a 18 round above ground pool with a Hayward LX 1-1/2 pump (twist lock plug)
and a Hayward DE filter about 4 yrs old, the pump went today, it squeaks or something
about a sec or two then trips the gfi,

It showed signs of going last year around September and October (just before closing)
but only when it first started up in the mourning and the weather seemed to be between 50-70, it
would make squeaky like noises for about 20 min, real weird noise, then everything would be
normal and quite. I replaced the seal last year and everything worked fine, it did make the
noise for years before that but just a little but at start up only.

I was looking for another Hayward tonight, just debating between 1 and 1- 1/2 horse

also if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with the pump, sounds clutch springy related
but the impeller part seemed ok to me when I changed the seal a few years ago, nothing leaks
and seems to be inside the pump casing somewhere. I'll pop off the cap and spin the impeller
today but it will most likely spin normal, it was really heavy non stop rain all day yesterday, couldn't
even pump the pool with it, had to use a garden hose and spare pump luckily I had laying around,

what a day, It could not have been a worse time for the pump to go.

Thanks in advance
Gary

If it's squealing, its a good bet its the motor's bearings. It's not too difficult to change the motor. Change the seal set too. You could go with a smaller motor and impeller too.

If you decide to change the pump, the 1 HP or even a 3/4 HP is more than enough for your application.

Scott

Thanks for replying,

Still can't go out and spin the shaft, the rain is still to heavy I did think bearings a couple
years ago, but the shaft spun so smooth when I changed the seal, nothing seemed wrong
but it could happen under load starting up and cold water does take more load to move
I guess.

I did locate a place to get bearings for the ao smith, does this sound like what I need?

http://fixthepool.com/Motor-Bearing-set ... 57880.aspx

I'm sure many out there would like to know about where to get bearings as well, or is there
someplace better? If I take this motor apart, I will try to post photos, ordering another pump
just in case so pool does not get that bad in the meantime.

Thanks
Gary

Got it working earlier tonight, poped the cap off the impeller spun smooth
was just about to flush the filter and remove the pump, then thought

Last year before opening I bought the pump into Leslie's to see what the
pump noise was on start up, they could not find why, but I did notice they
had no adapter for the twist-lock and saw the kid change the cord to test.
I also had to go back about a week later when I noticed the dust cap was
missing in the back.

We'll guess what found? the cord connections in the back we're loose, common
was really loose, tightened things up and the pump started, still made that noise
on start up for about 5 minutes but then quite as normal.

I did find it odd, the place had no twist lock adapter I should have just
walked out. but was curious about that noise.

Gary

Hi Scott

Of course the noise, did not come from the cord being loose, that was the reason
I took it there in the first place.

Not having a twist lock adapter when your a repair facility should be a big issue to
people, why open another water type seal when you should never need too
twist lock is code, everywhere for above ground these days. they should know that?

The point I was making especially after the other day, was don't just take your filter
and pump anywhere to be repaired, like maybe try another store location for example
because you could wind up with a bigger problem then what you walked in with, that
simple missing shaft dust cap left alone could have completely damaged the bearing,
cutting the grass, kicks up a ton of dust all over that area.

When I initially purchased the pool, first accessory I bought was that twist lock
adapter, so we could keep the filter running, while I trenched the 3/4 conduit waiting
for the inspector to approve the depth, that only cost me about 8 bucks retail.

My advice to those familiar with your equipment, find the time and do it your self
no one is going to care about the repair like you.

Gary

While I do, in fact, carry a plug adapter on my truck, I still don't see it as a biggie. I never needed one before this year. The factory cord is hardly water tight, it just has a different size strain relief grommet. Most pumps get serviced on site vs, the customer bringing it in to a store.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
While I do, in fact, carry a plug adapter on my truck, I still don't see it as a biggie. I never needed one before this year. The factory cord is hardly water tight, it just has a different size strain relief grommet. Most pumps get serviced on site vs, the customer bringing it in to a store.

Scott

Although, I don't know your service area or State for that matter,
but here in the tri state area twist-lock is code and has been for many
years, and that pump cord plate in the back has a really water tight cord seal
on it, and totally unnecessary to remove for testing purposes by anyone
calling them-self a professional repair person, theirs just no spinning that.

I installed the Pool around 5 years ago, and that was the code way
back then even, as well. its a good thing you personally have one, especially
if the home owner is watching you. people are more informed about things
these days. and might not, have even called you back again. if not just make
you leave.

Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.