Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump went today (need advice)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump went today (need advice)

Hi just signed up, looking for any advice at this point

I have a 18 round above ground pool with a Hayward LX 1-1/2 pump (twist lock plug)
    and a Hayward DE filter about 4 yrs old, the pump went today, it squeaks or something
    about a sec or two then trips the gfi,

It showed signs of going last year around September and October (just before closing)
    but only when it first started up in the mourning and the weather seemed to be between 50-70, it
    would make squeaky like noises for about 20 min, real weird noise, then everything would be
    normal and quite. I replaced the seal last year and everything worked fine, it did make the
    noise for years before that but just a little but at start up only.

I was looking for another Hayward tonight, just debating between 1 and 1- 1/2 horse

also if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with the pump, sounds clutch springy related
    but the impeller part seemed ok to me when I changed the seal a few years ago, nothing leaks
    and seems to be inside the pump casing somewhere. I'll pop off the cap and spin the impeller
    today but it will most likely spin normal, it was really heavy non stop rain all day yesterday, couldn't
    even pump the pool with it, had to use a garden hose and spare pump luckily I had laying around,

what a day, It could not have been a worse time for the pump to go.

Thanks in advance
    Gary

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump went today (need advice)

If it's squealing, its a good bet its the motor's bearings. It's not too difficult to change the motor. Change the seal set too. You could go with a smaller motor and impeller too.

If you decide to change the pump, the 1 HP or even a 3/4 HP is more than enough for your application.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for replying,

Still can't go out and spin the shaft, the rain is still to heavy I did think bearings a couple
    years ago, but the shaft spun so smooth when I changed the seal, nothing seemed wrong
    but it could happen under load starting up and cold water does take more load to move
    I guess.

I did locate a place to get bearings for the ao smith, does this sound like what I need?

http://fixthepool.com/Motor-Bearing-set ... 57880.aspx

I'm sure many out there would like to know about where to get bearings as well, or is there
    someplace better? If I take this motor apart, I will try to post photos, ordering another pump
    just in case so pool does not get that bad in the meantime.

Thanks
    Gary

4. Back To Top    #4

I change motors, not bearings. I don't want to mess with it for 5 years when I am done. Just doing bearings leaves the cap and coils to go next.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it working earlier tonight, poped the cap off the impeller spun smooth
    was just about to flush the filter and remove the pump, then thought

Last year before opening I bought the pump into Leslie's to see what the
    pump noise was on start up, they could not find why, but I did notice they
    had no adapter for the twist-lock and saw the kid change the cord to test.
    I also had to go back about a week later when I noticed the dust cap was
    missing in the back.

We'll guess what found? the cord connections in the back we're loose, common
    was really loose, tightened things up and the pump started, still made that noise
    on start up for about 5 minutes but then quite as normal.

I did find it odd, the place had no twist lock adapter I should have just
    walked out. but was curious about that noise.

Gary

6. Back To Top    #6

The noise didn't come from the cord so changing it to a standard plug is no biggie and not a reason to discount them as a service depot.

The noise is the bearings.

When the screeching bothers you enough, change the motor and seal set.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Scott

Of course the noise, did not come from the cord being loose, that was the reason
    I took it there in the first place.

Not having a twist lock adapter when your a repair facility should be a big issue to
    people, why open another water type seal when you should never need too
    twist lock is code, everywhere for above ground these days. they should know that?

The point I was making especially after the other day, was don't just take your filter
    and pump anywhere to be repaired, like maybe try another store location for example
    because you could wind up with a bigger problem then what you walked in with, that
    simple missing shaft dust cap left alone could have completely damaged the bearing,
    cutting the grass, kicks up a ton of dust all over that area.

When I initially purchased the pool, first accessory I bought was that twist lock
    adapter, so we could keep the filter running, while I trenched the 3/4 conduit waiting
    for the inspector to approve the depth, that only cost me about 8 bucks retail.

My advice to those familiar with your equipment, find the time and do it your self
    no one is going to care about the repair like you.

Gary

8. Back To Top    #8

While I do, in fact, carry a plug adapter on my truck, I still don't see it as a biggie. I never needed one before this year. The factory cord is hardly water tight, it just has a different size strain relief grommet. Most pumps get serviced on site vs, the customer bringing it in to a store.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    While I do, in fact, carry a plug adapter on my truck, I still don't see it as a biggie. I never needed one before this year. The factory cord is hardly water tight, it just has a different size strain relief grommet. Most pumps get serviced on site vs, the customer bringing it in to a store.

Scott
    Although, I don't know your service area or State for that matter,
    but here in the tri state area twist-lock is code and has been for many
    years, and that pump cord plate in the back has a really water tight cord seal
    on it, and totally unnecessary to remove for testing purposes by anyone
    calling them-self a professional repair person, theirs just no spinning that.

I installed the Pool around 5 years ago, and that was the code way
    back then even, as well. its a good thing you personally have one, especially
    if the home owner is watching you. people are more informed about things
    these days. and might not, have even called you back again. if not just make
    you leave.

Gary