Overheating pump?

Mar 17, 2010
Kansas
Hi,
Our pump worked fine all summer, with more than 40 100+ degree days, and now I think it is overheating! It was on a timer and running 6-8 hours a day all summer. I can turn it on manually, it runs for a few minutes, then turns off. I haven't noticed it turning itself back on. I cleaned out the pump basket, stuck my fingers into the pump and found nothing, PSI seems normal, etc. Any ideas? (FYI - I am not very comfortable taking the pump apart!) Also, this is year 2 for the pump.
Thanks!

Is it making any new noises since the problem started? If it is plugged into an outlet, try getting a heavy duty extension cord and plug it into a different outlet. Also if it is plugged into a timer try removing the timer and plug the pump directly to an outlet. We need to try and isolate a few things and make sure where the problem is located.

I uplugged from the timer and put directly into the outlet. Didn't try the extension cord, but everything else from that electrical box is running fine.

No, definitely cannot hold my hand on it for 8 seconds!

It is all unhooked and in the back of the van to go to the electrician tomorrow. I hate hooking everything up again! And my ball valve under the skimmer is not blocking everything, so I'm losing water, too. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.