elevated spa water draining out to the pool's water level

Aug 7, 2011
So Cal
This is my first time running this pool as I just moved in a few weeks ago. At first I was having problems with DE backflowing into the pool via skimmer and drain when the pump shuts off. I installed a check valve between the pump and filter to stop the backflow. Now the spa water is draining into the pool thru possibly the return jets? The spa water level is 10" above the pool water level. This isn't my first pool but this one is driving me crazy. Help me out. What am I doing wrong? There are no signs of water leaks from the pump and the filter. Last week I had a pressure check on all the pipes when the pool was empty and the results were no leak.
More facts about my pool. When the return is set for the pool, (3 return jets to the pool and 1 return jet to the spa) and I shut the pump off, it is sucking water back in from the spa return jet (the 1 that's connected to the return pool mode) and out thru the other 3 pool return jets.

When I set to spa return mode (4 return jets) it still drains the spa water thru the POOL/SPA single return jet as described in my first paragraph....

Hope this all makes sense...

Pool equipment specs:
I have (2) 2" suction pipes to equipment pad and I have (2) 2" return pipes from pad to pool.
The 2 drains (spa&pool) and the skimmer pipes are all 2" The return jets are all 1" I have a hayward DE-4800 filter with no backwash valves or anything fancy, and a brand new pentair variable speed 3hp pump. The pump/filter sits 22inches above the pool water line. The spa sits 10inches above the pool water line. I have 4 return jets to the pool (3 in the pool, 1 in the spa) If i switch the valve to the spa, i have 4 return jets to the spa. Combined I have 8 return jets. I also have an air machine which forces air into the spa return jets.

Re: elevated spa water draining out to the pool's water leve

More facts about my pool. When the return is set for the pool, (3 return jets to the pool and 1 return jet to the spa) and I shut the pump off, it is sucking water back in from the spa return jet (the 1 that's connected to the return pool mode) and out thru the other 3 pool return jets.

When I set to spa return mode (4 return jets) it still drains the spa water thru the POOL/SPA single return jet as described in my first paragraph....

Hope this all makes sense...

Sounds like you need a check valve in the spa return line.

I have a three-way valve set to blend spa and pool returns, and when the pump is off, it siphons down to the same level. But my spa isn't raised, so it doesn't matter. It's still true: water seeks its own level!

My check valve went bad on my spa and it would drain down and out the overflow every night. It sits about 1.5 above the pool. I didn't catch this for several weeks b/c my pool was running 12 hours a day and started before I got up for work. I saw the water on the street from the overflow and figured something was wrong. Hope this helps.

Can I shove a check valve in the return jet for the spa? Do they make such a thing? My pool was replastered last month and it has a eye outlit that can be unscrewed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.