Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 182 oz 6% bleach = how many 1lb bags of shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

182 oz 6% bleach = how many 1lb bags of shock?

Just curious how to compare the two. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: 182 oz 6% bleach = how many 1lb bags of shock?

You can use the Pool Calc's 'effects of adding chems' section near the bottom to compare the two. It takes a little more work than just comparing but you can get there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I plugged the numbers in when I was using the calculator a few minutes ago. Almost even. 5.4 vs 5.5 on my pool, assuming 73% cal-hypo, gallon to pound.

I also discovered something quite handy. For my 16000 gallon pool, one trichlor puck will raise CYA 2 ppm. I shoved 5 in the floater before we left town last week, they're pretty much gone now, and when I tested, it seemed like CYA jumped awful fast. But, in fact, it jumped exactly what it was supposed to. Back to jugs again until I replace some more water to lower CH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you decide to use cal-hypo, which is what is often in those 1 lb bags, you ought to compare the cost of the big bucket of 73% cal-hypo. If you can use cal-hypo from time to time, it is way cheaper in the big bucket. Like nearly $1.20 per lb last time I got some at Leslie's, I think that is the Power Powder Pro but do check the ingredients.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.