Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 inch chlorine tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

3 inch chlorine tablets

I am going on vacation for 5 days. Just wondering how many I need to put in to the floaters. I put in 3 in each floater (I have 2 floaters). My cya is at 50. I have approx a 30k gallon pool. Is this the right amount of tablets?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 inch chlorine tablets

If I put 6 - 3" pucks in my skimmer I don't need to add bleach for six days. My pool holds about 32,500 gallons and I maintain FC between 4 - 7.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

I have them in floaters, not in a skimmer. Is this ok?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't put tablets in the skimmer unless the pump is running 24 hours a day. Allowing the pump to stop while tablets are in the skimmer creates a very low pH and very high FC condition that gets blown though all the equipment as soon as the pump starts.

The amount you stated will probably be ok. It would be nice if you had someone that could check everything every few days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You shouldn't put tablets in the skimmer unless the pump is running 24 hours a day. Allowing the pump to stop while tablets are in the skimmer creates a very low pH and very high FC condition that gets blown though all the equipment as soon as the pump starts.

The amount you stated will probably be ok. It would be nice if you had someone that could check everything every few days.
    That's a good point. My main pump runs 24/7 when I'm away and the next door neighbor and her kids are checking it several times a day for several hours at a time.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler

Question: the floaters always sit right in front of the skimmer because o the water flow; is this substantially different then tabs in the skimmer?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    Question: the floaters always sit right in front of the skimmer because o the water flow; is this substantially different then tabs in the skimmer?
    Yes. The floater releases chlorine out the bottom. So as the tabs melt when the filter is off, the chlorine will tend to drop into the pool. It won't be mixed well, the area around the floater will have higher FC and lower pH, but not hugely different. Inside the confines of the skimmer, it will be a lot higher. Especially if your weir works - none of it will escape to mix with the huge volume of water in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!