Backwashing DE (from a sand filter) Dangerous to Plants?

Aug 3, 2011
I read up in pool school about how to add DE to my sand filter... but I've seen people mention that DE is hazardous to breath in and get on your skin, etc.

My sand filter backwashes to the very front of my yard, so it flows directly to the side of the street. But where the water pops up, is right next to a series of bushes that separates my yard from the neighbors. Will these plants be poisoned if I'm backwashing DE near them?

Bama Rambler said:
DE is an inhalation hazard so it won't hurt your plants. Also it's only listed as a probable hazard.
So this brings up a question that I have wondered about...dumping it on your lawn, does it just sit there and if it does does it have a potential to be inhaled? I was going to try DE (more of a lark than a need), but this has made me hesitate.

Each of us have our own level of comfort and what wouldn't bother me at all would, send someone else into conniptions. There's not enough DE that you backwash out to ever be a problem. Inhaled or otherwise.

Bama Rambler said:
Each of us have our own level of comfort and what wouldn't bother me at all would, send someone else into conniptions. There's not enough DE that you backwash out to ever be a problem. Inhaled or otherwise.
I had visions of a 1 foot pile of DE out in my yard that would dry and then get kicked up into the air.. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.