Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool installed 2 days ago. BBB help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool installed 2 days ago. BBB help!

My pool was installed and filled on Friday. I tested the pH and it was almost 0 so I used the pool calculator and it said to add (7) 182oz jugs of bleach. I added 4 not wanting to over do it. I let the pump run on high for about 2 hours after adding the bleach. This was Target brand 6% if that makes any difference.

Today I tested and I need help. Not sure where to start.
    FC: 16
    CC: 0
    pH: 8.25 (used my Hanna digital pH tester), Taylor pH was almost 8
    T/A: 150
    CH: 120
    CYA: clear so I'm assuming 0?
    Temp: 72ºf

What do I adjust first?
    I used the TF100 kit to test everything and I'm pretty sure the results are accurate.

Thanks!
    Rob

15'x30'x54" AGP - about 13500 gallons.
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool installed 2 days ago. BBB help!

I think you're entering some incorrect numbers in the Pool Calc. What did you enter for the targets? You can't leave them where they are.
    With a high FC your pH test is suspect but your Hanna meter shouldn't have a problem with it.

You need to bring the pH down to about 7.4 and then add some CYA to get to about 30 ppm. If you haven't added any CYA then there isn't any.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

With no CYA your FC is high but the sun will take care of that quickly. Half life of chlorine with no CYA is 30 minutes. Walmart has 4 lbs of HTH brand CYA for $15. Put this in a sock in front of a return and squish the sock with your hand every so often. 30 ppm CYA is the minimum you want if you are in a sunny location you can go up to 60 ppm. I am at 80 ppm for my SWCG.

Your PH is high add muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2

Wait to adjust you TA until you see how your PH stabilizes all pools are different with varying amounts of aeration which affects PH. I have the intex SWCG and brought my TA down to 80 for that. PH was always low. For my pool a TA of 120 stabilizes the PH.

Use the pool calculator to make adjustments and keep a pool log so you can keep track of the effects of your adjustments.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

4. Back To Top    #4

Hold on, your pH test is not valid until FC is less than 10 ppm. Test again and if FC is low enough, then you can adjust pH. Don't adjust based on invalid numbers. By now, the FC (chlorine) is probably much less, as BBBliever has said.

Before you add chemicals to the pool, check in here to verify the numbers. Too much of anything is not good.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is 4lbs of CYA enough?
    I changed the pool calc to trouble free pool and was going by the results from that on what to add for bleach. Right now that shows I need 45lbs of CYA? What am I doing wrong on there? Looked easy enough to use!

I have 2lbs if dry acid. Should I add that to lower the pH?
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Robl
    Is 4lbs of CYA enough?
    I changed the pool calc to trouble free pool and was going by the results from that on what to add for bleach. Right now that shows I need 45lbs of CYA? What am I doing wrong on there? Looked easy enough to use!

I have 2lbs if dry acid. Should I add that to lower the pH?
    I get ~35 ppm for 4 lbs of CYA addition for a pool of 13500 gallons. The calculator shows ounces (weight and volume) not pounds. So 45 weight ounces would be ~25 ppm for you pool. I would push it up a bit higher than that. For a non swg pool, you want 30-50 ppm CYA, so 35-40 ppm would be a good starting point.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

You must have put an extra zero in the pool size cell. If I put 135,000 instead of 13,500 I get 45 lbs.
    4 lbs will give you a good start.
    2 lbs will bring it down some but you'll need to test and adjust again after that. I'd use Muriatic acid from now on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You must have put an extra zero in the pool size cell. If I put 135,000 instead of 13,500 I get 45 lbs.
    That won't happen again! I thought 45lbs of anything going into the pool was too much!

I added the 2lbs of dry acid and I'll have CYA coming later today after my wife gets back from errands. It's raining hard right now and my pool is overflowing.
    I still have to dig a trench for the electrical and get the heater going. I'll have pictures soon.

Thanks for the help! I'll be asking for more tomorrow once I add the extra stuff and see how things are settling.

9. Back To Top    #9

I wouldn't add anything if it's overflowing - it's just money literally going down the drain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

OK Monday I emptied about 3 inches out. Way to much rain. Sun finally came out and the solar cover helped raise the temp up 3º. Getting better!
    Test results even though the CYA was put in monday afternoon and tuesday morning.
    FC - 1 - going to add according to the pool calc.
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    T/A - 130
    CH - 120
    CYA - I'm guessing 10 as I filled the tube and it was getting faint. I didn't add all 4 lbs but will add the rest tonight.

What would be my goal settings for the Pool Calc? For now I've left them on the TFP settings.
    What's next?

Water does look perfectly clear and the kids almost like swimming in it. After about 10 minutes they start turning blue but at least there's no fight to get them to take a warm bath afterwards.

Does CYA go away? Once I get to the levels I need should I have extra on hand?
    Does the solar cover help with FC and the life span in the sun? I know the CYA helps with that but I was just wondering.

Picked up a solar cover reel off craigslist today. $25! Just have to get a handle and new straps for it and adapt it to AGP use until the deck is built next year. Any recommendations for straps?

11. Back To Top    #11

CYA does not really go away but it will drop as water is splashed out and the pool is refilled with fresh water. It will also drop if you have heavy rains and have to drain off some water. I would retest your CYA and get it dialed in where you want it. I will check my CYA at opening, midyear and closing. I like to keep mine around 50ppm.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, the CYA will not test accurately until up to a week after adding.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator