Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slight cracks around pool skimmer.

1. Back To Top    #1

Slight cracks around pool skimmer.

Are they safe to seal with putty? I'm looking at possibly using JB Water Weld. I am losing about an inch of water a day. Only other leak I can see is my pool pump. The PVC connection that screws into the top of my pump has a drip of about 1 drip per 30sec. The basket was just emptied before I took pic. Hence why its not there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slight cracks around pool skimmer.

A+B epoxy, J-B Water Weld , etc should work nicely.

Did you do the dye test to determine that those cracks were actually leaking?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    A+B epoxy, J-B Water Weld , etc should work nicely.

Did you do the dye test to determine that those cracks were actually leaking?
    Sounds great. I haven't done the dye test. I guess I need to reread pool school. I'm going to do that and try searching the forums.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Just take some food coloring or pH reagent and squeeze out a few drops near the suspected leak(s) and if it's leaking it'll suck the dye into the hole or crack. I'd do that just to be sure it's actually the place it's leaking before I tried to patch it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Just take some food coloring or pH reagent and squeeze out a few drops near the suspected leak(s) and if it's leaking it'll suck the dye into the hole or crack. I'd do that just to be sure it's actually the place it's leaking before I tried to patch it.
    Thanks! I'm going to pick some up this afternoon. Also, gonna do bucket test to see exactly how much I'm losing.