Newbie Just Filled AG...need help!!

reallytiredteacher

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2009
Southern Missouri
I have a friend just put up an AG 13,000 gallon with 1 1/2 HP pump plumbed with 2" pipe~ sand filter, new sand

The water was brought out by the Fire Dept and the first load had sat in the truck tank for who knows how long it had been stored so there was rust in it :rant: ...after about 2 hrs you could tell there was rust silt on bottom of pool and they vacuumed it out but the water was not clear at all. The next few trips were fresh water and much better.

They raised it to shock level and kept it there for 36 hrs with continual pump running and then vacuumed it once again. Now it's much clearer and blue green color and you can start to see the bottom. I am telling them to keep it at shock level with bleach until the water finishes cleaning up. Is this the right advice? My IG vinyl is always pretty and sparkling but just don't know if I am missing something and hate to tell them wrong. They will be starting a SWG but I told them to hold off til the water is clear so it won't over work the cell...they have not added salt yet since I told them to wait.

I have the good test kit from this site and it shows:
CH- 220
TA- 230
CYA- 25
PH- 8.0
FC-1.5
CC- 0

thanks in advance!! :whoot:

Yes, that is reasonably good advice. If the water becomes a clear sparkly yellow or green then some other action will be required. But most likely a day or two at shock level and it will clear up completely.

Both PH and TA are high. The PH should be lowered to 7.2 (when FC isn't too high).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.