Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH, TA, Bromine reading in new start spa

1. Back To Top    #1

pH, TA, Bromine reading in new start spa

I just refilled my spa and started the testing procedure to balance the water. Fought with a high pH and low TA situation for a while. Is there a trick to get this situation under control? I just about have it after multiple dry acid and baking soda additions.

Then before adding anything I thought I would test the bromine/chlorine reading for fun. I had detectable levels prior to adding anything. I assume chlorine in the city water? THen I added a capful of MPS and now i have 2ppm detectedwith oto, 1 ppm detected with DPD, and 4ppm with the FAS-DPD test...

Is this typical? I still have ha hard time grasping the bromine residual and MPS balance issue.

Thanks!
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH, TA, Bromine reading in new start spa

MPS measures as CC in the DPD test and as FC in the FAS-DPD test (not sure about OTO, but it seems to at least get partly measured there as well). You can get the Taylor K-2042 to remove interference from the MPS.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this spa on chlorine or bromine? Have you added any sodium bromide?

4. Back To Top    #4

The spa is bromine but this was on a fresh fill prior to any addition of bromine.
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa