Multiple stains and pH problems

Aug 1, 2010
Columbia, SC
I have had my pool for three years now. I have been fighting pH constantly. It is constantly rising and I am adding MA several times a week. A gallon at a time usually. I get it in range and the next time I check it it is over 8. Often with 6-8 drops acid demand. I do have a waterfall that runs during the day.

Over the last year I have had white scaly patches come up. On the floor of the pool mainly. However there is a white buildup on the tile above the water surface on the side of the pool that gets most od the sun. (The pool is open to sulight all day. No shading at all)

Earlier this year I had my SWG go out and I didnt catch it. Pool looked horrible. Green with tadpoles everywhere. Got it cleared up over 4-5 days. Now I have black dots in areas throughout the pool.

Lastly I have had several times where the patio furniture has wound up in the pool, and caused rust stains on the plaster where it sat before we got it out.

Help!!!

Also I converted to the BBB method after I got the pool clear this year. Now I notice a milky white ring around the waterline. I thought the pH would be more stable but it has made little difference that I can tell. Maybe just a little....

Aloha "kgriggs"!

I imagine that this is a bit late for you...no more posts the last 3 weeks, so I hope you've had some kind of forward progress. But when things get this bad...it is time to take drastic action. That might mean you can't use your pool for several days. Your chemical readings all look fine except for the patio furniture in the pool--maybe you should add less of the :party: .

I'm presuming you are still using your Hayward SWG?

Your rock waterfall may be the biggest part of your struggle. Both the SWG and the waterfall (while running) will raise pH pretty quickly. Also, if temps are "summertime warm," your waterfall may be growing algae on the rocks, and thereby creating a chlorine demand in that area. It might be a good idea to turn off the waterfall and spray it down with a strong chlorine/water solution to kill off biological material on it. Then maybe suck up all the junk with a shop vac once the chlorine is burned off. The small black dots in your pool are mini colonies of algae that are VERY algae resistant due to their backsides being protected by the pool wall or floor, and having a protective membrane and the benefit of less chlorine circulation when they are on floors, walls, and corners. You have to brush them (knock them loose) with a wire brush and keep the pool at a high chlorine level for days to kill this stuff off. If they are extremely tough, you may want to start with a mask & snorkel (before you shock) and knock off all that you can. I don't like going into pools once the chlorine gets real high!

Waterfalls can be run for just 10 minutes each night (fresh chlorine and no sun to burn it off while it chlorinates the rocks!) to keep their pipes and rocks exposed to chlorinated water. The longer you run them, the higher your pH will climb...so if you want to run it all the time, just be willing to adjust your pH every 3 days. If this doesn't work in your life plan, then you need to get a control system for adding acid to the pool so you don't have to.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Aloha!

Warren

X2 on what Warren said!! It is solid advice. You may also want to try to use a vitamin c tablet on the rust to see if it lightens or removes the stains, if that doesnot work rub it with a trichlor tablet to see if it has any affect. If trichlor works it is more than likely related to yur algae problem. Also, how are you testing your water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.