Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Husband Deployed Need help with my Jacuzzi sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Husband Deployed Need help with my Jacuzzi sand filter

My husband is deployed to Iraq and our pool has given me more problems then ever this year. I thought I had it all fixed until I walked out this morning and water was pouring out between the dial valve and the filter. It had leaked slightly when I first put it together so I replaced the ring and vaselined it before putting it together. Everything was fine. I live around Minneapolis/St Paul and parts are non-existent. Could someone please advise? I am ready to put a hole in the pool and be done with it! Thank you!
    12 X 24 Oval Pool, AG, Vinyl, 52" inch deep
    Sand Filter, 1 HP motor Waterway Model ?? OF flowrate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Husband Deployed Need help with my Jacuzzi sand filter

Hey river_boat_fun,

We are neighbors, Lino Lakes here. Yeah parts are a little harder to come by here than down south (i think). What is your filter pressure (should be a gauge around the top) and have you backwashed lately? What is the model of the filter. If you need too, post a pic and we can help identify stuff.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey there. It is a 190L, I backwash frequently and noticed if I lift up a little on the dial with one of the hoses water pours out.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a filter I am well versed in! There are six bolts that hold the multiport valve down onto the filter tank flange. Are these bolts tight? Where exactly is the leak? What pressure is your gauge showing?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

30 psi and between the bolts. Yes they are tight. I am pretty mechanically inclined so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by river_boat_fun
    30 psi and between the bolts. Yes they are tight. I am pretty mechanically inclined so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    That pressure is really high. When you turn off the pump, what pressure does it read? What pump do you have (brand, model, hp)?

7. Back To Top    #7

its at 15. Its a new hayward powerflo 1hp

8. Back To Top    #8

its at 15. Its a new hayward powerflo 1hp
    So it is possible you either have an absolute gauge, or your zero might have shifted. Either way, it seems likely that your pressure is about 15 psi, which is pretty typical (though no guarantee that the gauge is correct either). Have you had a chance to look at where the leak is coming from yet?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes the leak is coming from between some of the bolts

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The multiport valve has a "spider" gasket inside that is a pretty common source of failure. It seems like that would be the first place to look. Disassembling the multiport is pretty straightforward.

YOu need to replace the gauge as well. A pool pump gauge should read ZERO when the pump is off
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes the leak is coming from between some of the bolts
    The bolts that you are referring too, are they down at the tank flange or up on the top of the valve?

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The multiport valve has a "spider" gasket inside that is a pretty common source of failure. It seems like that would be the first place to look.
    Yes you unscrew the phillips head bolts on the top and the upper valve assembly comes off with the spider gasket on it. However, I have not had luck finding a replacement spider gasket online yet...I may have to look more. There are two other gaskets, one is for the seal described above with the phillips head bolts, the other is the gasket that is sealed with the hex bolts to the filter housing (the lower seal). Any chance either of the o-rings are missing or not seated in their seats?

12. Back To Top    #12

The leak is below the hex bolts. I am getting a new pressure gauge this afternoon,

13. Back To Top    #13

The filter has been running for less than 3 weeks so I would hope its not the lower one as I put it on brand new.

14. Back To Top    #14

The leak is below the hex bolts. I am getting a new pressure gauge this afternoon,
    The filter has been running for less than 3 weeks so I would hope its not the lower one as I put it on brand new.
    It sounds like it it either this joint, or a cracked filter body (hopefully not this). If it is the joint, either the bolts are not tight enough, the flange has not been pulled down evenly, you got the wrong gasket, the gasket is not in its "trench", or the gasket is damaged. If you can look more closely at the leak, does it appear to come out right at the joint between the valve and the filter housing (the crack where your gasket is), or does it look like it is coming out lower?

15. Back To Top    #15

It is coming out right at the joint where the two come together

16. Back To Top    #16

It is coming out right at the joint where the two come together
    Okay, that should be a good thing since it probably means it the seal. Did you check the things I listed above?

17. Back To Top    #17

I went and looked at the my spare filter (it is a 190L) and it looks like you tighten the flange down until the top flange bottoms out on the bottom flange. The gasket (o-ring) is approximately square in cross-section, with dimensions of ~3/16 inch by ~3/16 inch. Does that sound like the replacement you used? If you used an o-ring with a round cross-section, I am not sure it would seal correctly.

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes it was square

19. Back To Top    #19

Any luck on your joint problem?