Adding Calcium question

Jun 4, 2011
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
How long does it take for an addition of Calcium Chloride to fully dissolve and give an accurate reading on your new level?

We have been getting huge rainstorms here is south Fla and I have been draining the pool a lot. My test this morning showed my CH at 220. I have done my calculations for my gallons, but never really had to double check them. According to pool calculator, to bring my CH from 220 to 250, I needed to add 54 oz by weight of CH. I did at around 10:00 AM (I actually weighed it on a digital scale).

At 12:30 I checked the level again and it was only at 230? Does it take a while to raise to level, or are my gallons incorrect?

9AM Test:
FC: 6 (turned chlorinator down, still trying to dial it in)
TC: 0
PH: 7.4 (**it was 7.8 two days ago. Added 4 oz MA based on pool calc to bring to 7.5, but it dropped it to 7.4 instead)**
CH: 220 (added 54 oz by weight **actually weighed it on a scale** (at 12:30 PM it was at 230)
TA: 60
CYA: 70
Salt: 3100

I think my gallons are a bit off, any suggestions?

Sorry, Yes

Just did a whole new test:

FC: 6
CC: 0
PH: 7.8 ***jumped from 7.4 a few hours earlier, can adding CH raise PH that much**
TA: 70 **up from 60 this morning**
CH: 250 **did com up to the correct number after all, guess my gallons are close just needed more time**
CYA: 70
SALT: 3000 (on Digital SWG readout)

So I guess it just needed a little more time, but i did not realize it would affect my PH so much. I need to add a little more to get up to the 300 number, so I guess i should alternate acid (to bring PH down) then add the CH in doses?

Normally, it should take calcium chloride an hour or two with the pump running to dissolve and show up on the test. Also, adding CH should not affect the PH.

Your TA went up because the PH went up. TA will come back down when you lower PH.

I suggest lowering PH back to 7.5 and then adding the rest of the calcium. Give it several hours to mix in and then test PH and CH again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.