Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OOPS

1. Back To Top    #1

OOPS

Glad this is not my house! The fun starts at 2 minutes http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=28443
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OOPS

WOW. I wonder if it was too much weight or if there was a mechanical failure.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! So glad nobody got hurt.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

crazy
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Now it looks like he's getting a new pool AND a new garage!
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, I can't believe that slipped by em. Lucky no one got hurt. Man, hope they had a good umbrella policy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Crane company's insurance agent: " Sorry buddy, there is not such thing a s "Stupidity Insurance".
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

Whoa!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Crane company's insurance agent: " Sorry buddy, there is not such thing a s "Stupidity Insurance".

Doh!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

Found it on Youtube...this is the removal of the truck from the house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4v9N2uC ... re=related

I work in commercial insurance. This video makes me feel good about turning down any chance to quote these type of crane operators! Yikes!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by BigT8600
    ... I work in commercial insurance. This video makes me feel good about turning down any chance to quote these type of crane operators! Yikes!
    These video's don't really tell the whole story. We'll never know what really happened - and you can't necessarily lay the blame on the crane operator. Those guys are not hired right off the street.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

A number of years ago, I saw this same scenario at a home in a suburb of Dallas, TX. It was the home of Bill Bates - ex Dallas Cowboy. They were lifting a spa onto a deck on the 2nd story of the back of the home and the crane's boom cut the 2nd story in half when it failed. I got there a couple of hours after it happened.
    APSP CST Certified
    17k inground concrete; 1.5hp 2 speed Tristar pump, 300sq.ft. Cartridge filter, AquaLogic PS-4 w/ Tcell-15, Navigator suction cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT8600
    ... I work in commercial insurance. This video makes me feel good about turning down any chance to quote these type of crane operators! Yikes!
    These video's don't really tell the whole story. We'll never know what really happened - and you can't necessarily lay the blame on the crane operator. Those guys are not hired right off the street.
    The operator over extended the crane to avoid the chimney.
    This in turn allowed the pool end of the crane to be heavier than the truck end. Gravity wins.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

The crane company claims it was a computer glitch. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=926475

Where this happened, Shoreview Minnesota, is a suburb directly south of mine...I wish I could figure out the address to take a look.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Google Earth might have updated in the past year... look for a back yard with a big hole :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The crane company claims it was a computer glitch. http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=926475
    Windows no doubt.

17. Back To Top    #17

Definitely not Linux!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

18. Back To Top    #18

From the news story write up,
    "The tub was placed in the ground, and only suffered a crack in the fall. The job should be completed soon."

Gee, just what I always wanted! A brand new pool with a crack in it!"
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    From the news story write up,
    "The tub was placed in the ground, and only suffered a crack in the fall. The job should be completed soon."

Gee, just what I always wanted! A brand new pool with a crack in it!"

Yea...Sounds just great! Can you believe that they put it in?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: