help with pump selection

f18fdg

Oct 5, 2007
Has there been any problems with Hayward Northstar pumps. I am trying to decide between Hayward Northstar, Tristar and Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp pumps.

20-25,000 gallon pool, will be getting a four cart. filter depending on the brand of pump i buy. Will also be installing Hayward Lo Nox Heater.

As far as the heater, if I just want to heat the spa will the 250,000BTU heater be sufficient? I don't think I will be using it to heat the pool so I don't think i will need the 400,000BTU version.

Thanks

The high efficiency version of the Pentair WhisperFlo is a wonderful pump and will use slightly less electricity than other pumps of the same size. I suggest getting a two speed pump if at all possible. When you are not running the spa the 1 1/2 HP pump will be wasteful of electricity. Switching to low speed when not running the spa could save a great deal on electrical costs.

Depending a little on where you live, the smaller heater will be fine even for heating the pool. However the larger heater will heat the spa up to temperature in half the time. If you don't mind waiting a little while longer to allow the spa to come up to temperature the smaller heater will be fine.

Never one to contradict Jason, I have heard of and seen trouble with the Northstars :cry: Rumor was that they were to be discontinued, but perhaps Hayward just fixed the troubles.

BTW - the troubles I personally saw were the seals failing WAYYY prematuerly

Welcome to TFP f18fdg! :goodjob:

I have had my Northstars going on 2.5 years now and so far have not had any problems but it is probably too soon to tell. I went with all Hayward eq to get the warranty but if I replaced a pump today, I would probably go with Pentair. They seem to be most advanced when it comes to energy efficient pumps.

As for the heater, the increase cost of the 400k is probably worth it since the cost difference is probably not that much. I have the 400k for my spa and it heats fairly quickly which is nice to have. However, if you need to do any gas pipe upgrades to support the 400k, then it probably would not be worth it. I have a 7' Spa at about 700 gallons and the 400k will raise the temp about 1 degree per minute. A 250k will raise the temp about 0.6 degrees per minute. So going from 80 to 100 would be 20 minutes for the 400k or 33 minutes for the 250k.

Rather than fight the loyalty we all have to one or another and the rare occasion that someone does not have a Hayward problem, here are the facts as I see them in repairing things all day.

1. I cautiously installed about 3 TriStars last year just in case there was an issue to prevent from having a lot more issues out there in case a problem arose. After evaluating these three for 18 months, I will not buy another. Reason 1, most techs installed them without understanding how powerful they are. They are eating up bearings at one year due to the overload. The pump needs at least a full HP downsize from what came out. Reason 2, they vibrate/rattle from within on slightly oversized systems when the filter loads up. Reason 3, they take all of their own parts and few are available on a moments notice unless to know to have them on hand ahead of time. There is not one interchangeable part including the seal.

2. The Northstar is the biggest piece of junk to ever hit the market. As long as you never have to work on it, you're fine. Again, always installed oversized and that causes issues. Using the same Emerson motor as the Tristar, that is the only good thing about it but with the bearing failures on the Tristar, you have to wonder where Emerson cut back in order to get the deal with Hayward. Everything on the Northstar is really expensive. From the t-seal on the lid to the shaft seal.

3. The Whisperflo is a proven product with very little change to it's design over the years. All seals and o-ring are generic and always available. Simple to get into and fixes quick. The only issue with that pump is the hardware loosens regularly and it should be checked as part of any periodic program.

I also vote for the whisperflo over the northstar. The northstar is just NOT a well designed pump and it has a track record of problems. Every company seems to have one or two products that are ones to stay away from. In the Hayward line it seems to be the Northstar pumps and the CL200 series of chlorinators.

If you go with the Whisperflo be aware that Pentair makes both uprated and fullrated models. If you are considering the full rated 1.5 HP then also check the price on the 2 HP uprated, they are one and the same pump! Only the label on the motor is different! Often times you will find quite a large price difference between the equivalent full rated and uprated models when in reality they are the same pump! (If you are looking at the 1.5 HP uprated then check out the 1 hp full rated).

BTW, I also have heard that the Northstars are to be discontinued. I have not gotten my 2008 catalogs yet at the store so I cannot confirm or deny that.
We are a Hayward dealer but we do not stock the Northstar pumps, BTW.
I have a whisperflo on my own pool/sp as the primary pump and a Pentair Pinnacle for my cleaner and water features.

repair_guy said:
Using the same Emerson motor as the Tristar, that is the only good thing about it but with the bearing failures on the Tristar, you have to wonder where Emerson cut back in order to get the deal with Hayward.

My Northstars have the A.O. Smith motors and not Emerson so Hayward may have switched at some point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.